Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 114

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

55 Packard Transmission Cooler Mockup ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Because I chose to NOT use the original Packard external transmission cooler, I'm just about ready now to mount a new B&M external cooler onto the gravel pan immediately in front of the radiator. I'm trying to keep the cooler as 'forward' as possible to allow for an eventual new air conditioning (system) someday. I would appreciate some thoughts before I go drilling more holes!!!

Attach file:

jpg  (125.24 KB)
20_4b241746489ef.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (198.86 KB)
20_4b2417802d8d6.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (192.32 KB)
20_4b241793b93c1.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (198.68 KB)
20_4b2417bc2a091.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (191.01 KB)
20_4b2417c5ee6c0.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (105.37 KB)
20_4b2417fbb57ca.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/12/12 17:30
 Top  Print 

Re: 55 Packard Transmission Cooler Mockup ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
So far it looks good Kevin!

That will work vastly better than that stupid coolant/trans setup that was originally fitted.

Craig

Posted on: 2009/12/12 17:33
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I would have went with a larger one personally. Most of the aftermarket ones I've used attach directly to the radiator core with special zip ties and foam spacers. I've used those with great success.

Posted on: 2009/12/12 18:05
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That will work vastly better than that stupid coolant/trans setup that was originally fitted.

Do you have actual comparative transmission fluid temperature data under various operational conditions, or is that just your opinion of the original engineering?

Posted on: 2009/12/12 18:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Owen_dyneto wrote:
Quote:
Do you have actual comparative transmission fluid temperature data under various operational conditions, or is that just your opinion of the original engineering?

<p>You obviously missed the entire point of the problem with the original setup. The original setup, after 50 years plus is just waiting to rust through and mix trans fluid with radiator coolant. By bypassing that "problem waiting to happen", one alleviates one more potential functional problem.</P>
<p>As to whether it cools better, that may be up to debate, but it is probably irrelevant to the actual current problem.</P>
<p>On Edit: And then there is the problem with the radiator heat transferring to the T-U through the original cooler. That cannot be good either since it seems obvious at this juncture that heat will kill any transmission, particularly a T-U. But that is probably a topic for a different thread.</p>
<p>Craig</p>

Posted on: 2009/12/12 18:42
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Well, I guess my question was, why you called the design "stupid"? It struck me as a sound design, typical of millions of liquid/liquid heat exchangers used in all kinds of applications. I wouldn't think "stupid" would apply just because it might not last 1/2 century. Perhaps there was a better word choice to be made?

Posted on: 2009/12/12 20:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
I replaced mine with a modern unit too. My unit clogged up and the trans started overheating. i left the original unit in place for coolant flow,just left the lines blanked off. The unit i installed is rated for motorhomes and heavy towing use.

Posted on: 2009/12/12 20:27
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Quote:
Well, I guess my question was, why you called the design "stupid"? It struck me as a sound design, typical of millions of liquid/liquid heat exchangers used in all kinds of applications. I wouldn't think "stupid" would apply just because it might not last 1/2 century. Perhaps there was a better word choice to be made?

<p>Ok, I'll agree that "stupid" was maybe a poor choice of derogatory terms. Maybe "ignorant" would be a better term, particularly in hindsight. And I'll agree that Packard was not the only one to use the liquid-liquid heat exchanger.</p>
<p>But, in any case, it was not a "smart" solution either since in addition to the potential of mixing the coolant with the trans fluid, the coolant eventually heats up the transmission temperature which shortens the life of the transmission.</p>
<p>This topic is probably worthy of discussion in a separate thread.</p>
<p>Craig</p>

Posted on: 2009/12/12 20:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information

Posted on: 2009/12/12 21:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I would mount the trans cooler as close to the radiator as possible and in path of fan draw so it will get air drawn thru it by the fan at low speeds pulling long grades or at stop. Note that automatic transmissions are supposed to hold the car on a hill while STOPPED and at engine idleing. So u want to make sure that POSITIVE air flow occurs at the cooler at all times!

NOTE HOWEVER, that some modern automatic transmissions stop the oil cooler circuit while in park. I'm not sure why other than for very cold weather warm ups maybe.

Posted on: 2009/12/12 22:05
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved