Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 212

39Rollson, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

(1) 2 3 »

Purist vs. Modders
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I know there has been some spirited discussion back and forth lately that at some times has gotten personal here in the forums. While I am not asking anyone to change their opinions, as everyone has a right to their own, I am asking that you respect others.

I know the forum is full of personalities, some more colorful than others, and that is what gives us a rich tapestry of knowledge here. But I have to strike a balance to keep things civil. So i'm asking for the following to be observed:

If some one posts a question about how to fix or rebuild something (like the BTV), then obviously there are looking to preserve it, and are not asking to upgrade, replace, reengineer it. So please let the folks that can answer their question about fixing it help them, without the modification sidebars hijacking the thread. Nothing turns a new Member away faster than bickering folks.

Also, along those same lines, if someone comes posts a question about modern conversions, replacements, upgrades, etc, then let the folks that can answers those questions do so with out berating the Gentlemen about keeping it original. Equal time folks, equal time.

I'm just trying keep things relatively balanced here so it doesn't turn into the Wild West, and folks get there toes stepped on, pick up their marbles and go home. This is a collective intelligence here, so if we loose someone, then we all suffer.

Packards were automobiles built by Gentlemen for Gentlemen. So lets all try to live up to that heritage.

Thanks,

Posted on: 2009/12/17 17:55
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog

Re: Purist vs. Moders
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Kev, I believe the correct term is "modder's".

Posted on: 2009/12/17 18:10

Re: Purist vs. Modders
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Yes of course you are correct!

Posted on: 2009/12/17 18:13
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Kevin

Thanks for the reminder.
Packard information is a wonderful place to learn and ask questions (smart ones and not so smart ones). I have enjoyed posting and reading the last 2 years.
Thanks for keeping us focused on the

Ask the GentleMen
Who Owns One

spirit of the website.

DanL

Posted on: 2009/12/17 18:38
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Sounds like a good idea to me. Keeping it straight will be the issue. Good luck.

Craig

Posted on: 2009/12/17 18:38
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
How about calling them Orthodox and Reform?

Posted on: 2009/12/17 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Keeping things reasonably civil i agree. Each long time participant of P'info.com has already established their modder/purist view point and all other long time partticipants are aware of each others such viewpoints. Something that even myself could establish a higher degree of respect for.

THE PROBLEM arises when a realtively new participant arives with (for example) a modification possibility. How does anyone know if the new (or relatively new) participant is aware of restoration or original parts availabilty????

The flip side of that scenario can occur too.

Even in my case where i mite be apt to retain originality there mite be some modification that i do not know about or not aware of it's advantage or the disadvantage of retaining original.

Posted on: 2009/12/17 20:17
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Keith: I agree. But, like I said above, newbies know not about previously established rules. There needs to be some means by which newbies who hijack a thread can be "gently" told what to do.

Craig

Posted on: 2009/12/17 20:21
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
One of the major problems with ANY discussion group whether I'net, Think Tank, scheduled meeting or otherwise is that often opinions or even facts are constructed in short form with no indepth explanation. NOT EVEN when an indetpth explanation is requested.

How many times has anyone argued or debated an issue only to suddenly learn a piece of information that makes then change their mind???? It has sure as helll happened to me many times thru out my life. AND GLAD IT DID!!!

I'm not sure what kind of problems Kev is experiencing from what he cites in his post. Obviously something significant. Seems to me that things have benn mostly civil tho occasionaly not.

Different people from different backgrounds. Not all of us are playwrights, New York contract attornies, master mechanics, rednecks or even speak english (correctly) for that matter nor qualify for the welcome commitee at the local Tea Room. Some are. Some arn't. Some do. Some don't.

Posted on: 2009/12/17 20:29
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Who the H_LL drinks tea? Seriously, Kevin's right and there are times I've bitten my tongue (sprained my typing finger) and there are times I should have but didn't. I can argue with anyone (just ask my old Boss), without it getting personal, but like anyone I don't like being called stupid or unwilling to look at new solutions. My life's work was to foist change on people whether they wanted it or not. I can usually argue my point without personal invective providing I am not insulted. As Dan'l said in so many words act like gentlemen. I will try to model myself after my NJ friend Dave.

Posted on: 2009/12/17 21:00

(1) 2 3 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved