Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Roosevelt 1936 Buenos Aires Packard
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I think what West is referring to is it being a tad overdone. There is something to be said for subtle elegance vs. look how many options I can jam on one car.

I often ran into that when I took my Honda to various Import Car shows. Some of the cars were completely overdone to the point of just being "Hey everyone look at me, look at me" cars. Those cars were not the ones that won trophies, much the owners confusion. Sometimes less is more.

Everything is of course personal preference and opinion. So you I don't understand how you could be angry for West expressing his own preference or opinion of that car....unless of course you were the owner of it!

Posted on: 2009/12/21 16:50
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Kev
Thanks for posting the neat photo of Roosevelt and the 1929 Packard 640 seven-passenger touring. There is a similar photo on page 284 in Kimes book with Roosevelt either in the same car, or in an identical car painted slightly differently.

John
I'm sorry my opinions stirred up the pudding while pointing out the wrong spare tire hub cover on that 740 Packard roadster. The only reason I brought up the fact that the hub cover was wrong is because the photo was being used as evidence to show that it was correct for a car with wire wheels.

My opinions on the 1930 Packard weren't meant to represent any particular "circle," I was only speaking for myself and I need to just learn to be quiet when I see nine forward-facing lights on a 1930 Packard with a creative paint job.

Posted on: 2009/12/21 18:19
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Quote:

West Peterson wrote:
I need to just learn to be quiet when I see nine forward-facing lights on a 1930 Packard with a creative paint job.
Wow Nine lights beam me up Scottie they must really want to see the road.

Posted on: 2009/12/21 20:00
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
West Peterson wrote:......The only reason I brought up the fact that the hub cover was wrong is because the photo was being used as evidence to show that it was correct for a car with wire wheels.....
West,

Blame me for the pic. I went looking in the Archive for pic's of cars with hub covers from that period and found that one amongst others. I posted it in response to O_D's post about the hub covers being for steel disc wheel cars. I expected some comment because it was obviously a wire wheel and not steel disc. I did not intend it as evidence because, as I continue my Packard journey, I am very aware of my lack of the requisite knowledge to be able to comment on correctness. I am now much wiser about hub covers for steel disc and wire wheels as well the folly of posting a pic without meaningful dialog.

Posted on: 2009/12/22 5:41
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The 9ine forward lites do raise a question:
Would an OEM correct electrical system keep up with the extra lites????

Wheel cap center lock:
Are the center locking wheel caps interchangeable between wire and disk? i.e. REGARDLESS of originality will they physically interchage??

Posted on: 2009/12/22 8:34
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I posted it in response to O_D's post about the hub covers being for steel disc wheel cars.

Actually I said that the LARGE cover was for the steel disc wheels, implying I guess but without saying that there was a smaller one that wasn't. Next time I'll try to be more complete.

In response to PackardV8s question, the generators of that era had their current (amperage) output controlled by an adjustable 3rd brush. If you wanted more or less output, you opened the hood, took a thin dime or screwdriver, and adjusted the position of the 3rd brush to give more or less. Generator maximum output in that era was in the range of 20-28 amps. Even in my 34 (which as the special, "high output red label generator") it takes a roadspeed of about 30 mph to generate enough to compensate for head and tailights and a single Trippe. So no, no way the electrical load from all that nonsense could have been supported by the OEM system.

Posted on: 2009/12/22 9:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Wheel cap center lock:
Are the center locking wheel caps interchangeable between wire and disk? i.e. REGARDLESS of originality will they physically interchage??

I'm not sure I'm understanding this part of the question, because whoever "restored" the roadster has proven that you can mount the wrong cover on the spare wire wheel.

Posted on: 2009/12/22 9:54
West Peterson
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Ok. Will the wire wheel locking cover physicaly mount to the spare disk wheel????

Posted on: 2009/12/22 11:35
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Wouldn't be big enough. The center hole in the desk wheel is huge, and the wire wheel cap would fall right through the opening.

Posted on: 2009/12/22 13:42
West Peterson
1970 Camaro RS

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Besides the extra three lights and the incorrect disc wheel hubcaps, what exactly is wrong with this car? It looks nice to me???

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2009/12/22 14:15
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved