Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
176 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 176

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: Roosevelt 1936 Buenos Aires Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Since this 745 was top of the line it may have been possible for the buyer to have had eight lights installed at the factory. I am sure that since Packard sales plunged 50% from 1929 the factory in 1930 would do most any accessory installation the customer might have wanted, including any type of custome paint job.

So to say that the restoration of the car isn't correct might not be true.

It's not a 745. It's a 740... and there are nine lights.
Most, if not all, the detractors of that particular car are not saying the restoration was incorrect, except for the spare tire "clamp." I think most people are commenting on the distasteful way in which it was restored and whether or not the OEM generator would handle the supply of juice needed.

Posted on: 2009/12/22 21:56
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If those spot lights are authentic Packard accessories, they would be Packard-Lorraine brand, per the 34 Packard accessory catalog. The front-mounted lights are probably dealer installed as no such lights are listed in the accessory catalog, though in earlier years, like 1929 for example, Packard did list driving lights but not Trippes, but "Saf-De Lite" brand. But Trippes were a very popular dealer installation. There were other brands as well, such as GM's Guide brand.

Posted on: 2009/12/22 22:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Over the years i have seen 2wo different pics of 2wo different cars (L29 Cord and can't remeber the other) that had large lites similar to those on the Maharajah tiger hunting car pictured above.
DIFFERENT in that they were mounted on a tall pedestal that was anchored to the running boards. The lites were close enuf to the driver and passenger sides to be hand operated from front seat positions.

I doubt that thewy were any car companies official accessory and most likely aftermarket.

Anyone else ever seen these????

Edit: Wait a minute. Are those on the tiger hunting car also mounted on poles affixed at the running boards??? My computer resolution is not real good.

Anyway. What are they???? Maybe a special hunting accessory???

Posted on: 2009/12/22 22:39
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Friends

This has been expressed different ways, but there is a phrase in Julie Fenster's book, Packard, the Pride

Packards appealed to people who wanted " low level of flash" in an opulent car. What is appropriate for a Cadillac is not fit for a Packard.

Another quote from a lifetime Packard owner, when asked why he never bought Cadillacs

" You have to understand, a Cadillac is a car a gangster drives to a party he shouldn't have been invited to in the first place"

Regards

Johh Harley

Posted on: 2009/12/22 23:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Packards appealed to people who wanted " low level of flash" in an opulent car. What is appropriate for a Cadillac is not fit for a Packard.

I agree completely.

Quote:
" You have to understand, a Cadillac is a car a gangster drives to a party he shouldn't have been invited to in the first place"

Probably the BEST quote I've ever heard! I love it!

Next to, "You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little f'd up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to f'n' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?"

Love that movie....

Attach file:

jpg  (11.57 KB)
34_4b319aa05fc9b.jpg 400X400 px

Posted on: 2009/12/22 23:23
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
The driving lights on this Packard appear to be "Pilot-Rays" which turn with the wheels.

Attach file:

jpg  (37.09 KB)
13_4b323372f1adb.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2009/12/23 10:13

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just think about those lovely chrome-plated (or are they modern stainless repro) wire spoke wheels. In 1934 they were $32 additional cost per wheel. I doubt today you could redo one to a high standard for less than $1000 each. That's a lovely car, though I personally would like it better with blackwall tires, though on the Twelve whitewalls were a no-cost option.

Posted on: 2009/12/23 11:44
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks for the picture and they are beautiful, but no I wouldn't, I consider them gaudy. Packard aimed for a restrained elegance. I don't have the chrome spokes on my Caribbean either; very few 56 Caribbeans had them when new either (only a dozen or less).

Painted spoke wheels with chrome spokes however have a very nice appearance on some sporty models thru 1936, especially with some paint schemes. In the era of the 17 inch wheels, could only be done on the Twelves as only they had removeable spokes. See photo.

PS - the Twelve spoke wheels are quite different from the Eight and Super Eight wheels thru 1936, they have threaded spokes and nipples (Eight and Super Eight have simple shrink-fit single piece spokes) and a double-rolled rim to cope with the extra force on the wheels from the vehicle weight. Though they all came (1934 and up) with 6 ply tires, the Twelve had a much heavier 7:50 x 17 instead of 7:00 x 17. And steel disc wheels and wooden spoke wheels were still available in 1934, the disc wheels much more popular on export vehicles due to their added strength. I believe 1936 was the last year for wooden artillery wheels on Packards. I know - I've digressed - forgive me.

Attach file:

jpg  (157.31 KB)
177_4b327122e041b.jpg 1280X1052 px

Posted on: 2009/12/23 14:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Now here is a Packard factory photo from the web site The Making of Modern Michigan.

It states on the back of the photo 1930 740 Custom 140.5 in wheel base, body type 417, fitted with twin triple lamps.

John F. Shireman

Attach file:

jpg  (56.82 KB)
105_4b327b6a5c601.jpg 750X594 px

Posted on: 2009/12/23 15:19
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved