Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
91 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 90

Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Your Opinion Whether the New '57 Packard Vertical Grille Would Have Been a Marketing Hit?
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
I think the original question in the thread raises another question: would there have been a '58 Edsel vertical grille if Packard had introduced the style in '57? Packard may have been a less likely target for ridicule with their more tasteful design and the fact that they weren't a "major" like Ford. Big manufacturers often attract derision more quickly with their marginal designs. Somebody mentioned the Ford Taurus earlier (I always thought they looked pretty old-school Ford in some ways, and the '49-'52 derivation makes sense). Remember the flack that Ford caught on that one? "Jelly bean" was the kindest term I remember... and look at how comparatively boxy those early Taurus models appear now!

There's no accounting for taste, but I think the Black Bess grille could've been improved with a bit more width at the top, the gradual narrowing to a width still slightly wider than the Black Bess version Vertical "radiator" chrome bars following the "V" shape, and a more prominent ox yoke at the top that would include a shiny radiator "tank," with the crest centered on the front of the faux tank.

This is a tangent, feel free to skip it:

I agree that design elements or "styling cues" incorporated from older models give great distinction to any marque, especially if they're done in subtle, clever ways.

Look at the Packard Octagon, used from the very beginning and based on the functional hub of the early years.

How 'bout the first generation Riviera, with those clamshell lights... a design nod to the LaSalle grille that was carried over even after Buick got to produce the new car, instead of Cadillac--which had planned a resurrection of the LaSalle brand!

And the mid-60's Electra (particularly the '65) with the faux ribbed "running board" strip along the sides. Incidentally, I think Packard was first with this styling cue with the '55-'56 "Reynolds Wrap" trim, which was also ribbed like a running board.

Whether or not it would have been a styling "hit" throughout the automotive world, I think that incorporating the vertical grille--maybe in a design somewhat modified from the last mockups we've seen--would've been a "hit" with people who loved and owned Packards, and thus Packard would've picked up buyers from their key demographic... Packard people. They really didn't need to bring a lot of first-time buyers in to be successful.

Posted on: 2010/1/5 23:49
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Re: Your Opinion Whether the New '57 Packard Vertical Grille Would Have Been a Marketing Hit?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bozonono
See User information
It was popular at the time on the Predictor. At the Predictor showing in Philly people were vocally in favor of the car and seemed to really like the grille. The night i was there there were at least 100-150 people there and it awas a week night workday.

Interestingly tho, there was a photograph i saw at the Studebaker Museum back in 91 it showed a clay mock up 4 door hard top Packard with a grille rendition that was closer to the request than the Predictor. It was wider, had vanes and really looked nice. Stylists were covering their bets even then

I love the look of the 57s and if theyk could have been produced might have made a difference. They were cartainly better looking than the bulbous 57 GM cars.

Posted on: 2010/1/6 19:58
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved