Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
89 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 88

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Of DOT3, alcohol antifreeze, vinegar and other alchemy
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I can't seem to find the master cylinder. Nor for that matter can I find any hydraulic lines or hoses.
I'm sure there are several here who can remedy that small omission. That car ought to have all kinds of room available. A nice chrome can with lines to match

Posted on: 2010/5/20 17:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi Folks

Dot 5 silicone brake fluid is standard equipment for AMG HMMV, AMG Military trucks, etal.; as well as H-D motorcycles. When I was overseas we never had any hydraulic problems with those brake systems even under severe sub-saharan service. Vehicles using DOT 3 had lots of hydraulic problems. I also saw mixing of DOT 5 because the military stocked DOT 5 as a matter of NSN. It was pretty much inert.

I have a vial of ancient brake fluid I drained from a barn car and it is not the same as modern DOT 3.

Glycols are Hydroxl-alcohols and the MSDS for DOT 3 shows twelve glycol elements.

I have run into the brake switch failure problem myself and it really leaves me scratching my head for a cause. Although, I do think those hydraulic brake switches are a lousy system and they fail using DOT 3 on a regular basis as well.

Also, brake lines do not seem to rust from the inside out and I have cut very rusty brake lines in two to verify this point. I have a few lying around that I use for demonstration purposes.

Posted on: 2010/5/20 17:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Would be interesting to take one of the failed switches apart and see just what does fail. Diaphragm damaged, contacts oxidized, something swollen. Many possibilities.

Posted on: 2010/5/20 17:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"I also saw mixing of DOT 5 because the military stocked DOT 5 as a matter of NSN."

Mixxing of Dot 5 with what???? Dot3??? Did it present any problems??

Posted on: 2010/5/20 18:31
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
It has been recommended that the brake fluid of BTV equiped cars be drained and flushed and renewed with new fluid approximately every 3 years.

Let us assume that to be a reasonable and specific maintenance interval/procedure.

THEN, there is one, exactly one and only one reason for the procedure????? That being mositure entering the brake system. No? What other reason could there be????

Furthermore, moisture can enter the brake system at ONE, exactly one and only one place. That being the vent hole in the filler cap of the BTV master cylinder. No??? Where else could moisture possibly enter the sytem?

Posted on: 2010/5/20 19:04
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Many thanks to those of u that enlightened me on the wine/alcohol content questions i asked. it helps me to understand the recommended process better.

Posted on: 2010/5/20 19:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I do beg to differ on whether steel brake lines rust out from the inside or not. One of my jobs at the 95 National in Baltimore was to replace a section of brake tubing on a 51 Convertible. It was the piece that ran under the engine and was oily and shiny new on the outside--but so rusted on the inside it broke like crisp bacon. All of my cars get all new brake tubing when the brakes get done. That is the cheapest part of the entire restoration.

Dot 3 will somehow some way pick up moisture with time and go rancid, even out in the wheel cylinders, far away from any venting. But really its not a problem if the system is bled every once in a while. I like it oftener for Treadlevac systems as they are chunk and lump sensitive.

Posted on: 2010/5/20 21:47
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Ross,

Same thing on my '54. The lines looked good from the outside. But the rust was so extensive on the inside that it turned the fluid to gel. I replaced every part of the brake system except for the distribution blocks which I media blasted and soaked in carb cleaner.

Posted on: 2010/5/20 22:17
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
Is there a way to determine the percentage of alcohol in a mixture????? A way that can be done in the home shop???
I'll get to the point. I have a batch of wine that has completed fermentation and would like to determine the alcohol percentage.

The current method used is to use a wine hydrometer and measure the specific gravity of the slurry just minutes or a few hours after slurry is mixed and created (i.e. BEFORE fermnetation starts).

I've already done all of the googling and asked the wine store experts. I just don't believe that the alcohol content can be determined before the alcohol is produced by fermentation. Or can it??? I've wondered about this for decades.

Your hydrometer will allow you to determine the percentage of alcohol after fermentation.

To determine the percentage before fermentation you need to do a Brix test.

See this link for a tester and how it is used.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?cat=2,2120&p=46784

Once you determine the sugar content you can easily calculate the potential alcohol content. To increase it you can add sugar, to reduce it you can stop fermentation early to get a sweeter wine that is lower in alcohol.

There is a limit to the percentage of alcohol that can be achieved by fermentation. The alcohol kills the yeast eventually.

All this should be covered in a good book on home wine making.

Posted on: 2010/5/21 1:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Sugar in the gas tank:

Will alcohol dissolve sugar????? Just drain the tank and pour in some alcohol????

Posted on: 2010/9/9 16:42
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved