Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

'54 Clipper Antenna Switch Location
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I am looking for a reference, picture, or template that shows where the Power Antenna switch was mounted on the '54 Clippers (non-Super). Both the Supers and the Packard line cars mount the power Antenna switch under the headlamp switch. But on the Clippers (non-Super) that is where the ash receiver is located.

I have scoured the Service Manual and other references and have not been able to find any documentation on where the switch is supposed to be mounted on the Clippers.

Ross Miller sent me a note about the switch hole being 5 1/4" to the left of the headlight switch. But I just want to confirm that before I start drilling the dash.

There is a diagram in the Accessories section of the service manual, but once again that is for the Packard line cars and the Super Clippers, and the '53 and prior cars. The only two holes I see that far on the left of the dash would be the optional Rear Speaker Switch, or the ignition switch on earlier models.

I figure there must have been a something included with the power antenna accessories in '54 that had instructions on where to mount on the switch on the Clippers. I wouldn't think Packard would just let the dealer select a spot of their own choosing.

Posted on: 2010/1/2 5:55
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: '54 Clipper Antenna Switch Location
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Kev, wish I could help but you've not doubt looked in all the same places I'd look. But be patient, I'd even go so far as to phone PAC and PI members with 54 Clippers in hopes of finding one with a correct installation before I'd drill a hole in the dash without being absolutely certain.

Posted on: 2010/1/2 9:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
As a V8 guy, I'm not familiar enough with the 51-54s to visualize what you're up against. While the shop manual has a pretty good diagram of where to locate the antenna switch and rear speaker control and all 51-54 cars use the same switch and escutcheon/nut, I see the adapter and spacer used with that switch changes for 54. So, perhaps there is something different about the mounting location.

BTW, I'm assuming that you are using the 51-54 switch with the 55-56 antenna, and not the 55/56 switch.

In the absence of a donation of a set of instructions specific to your car, my best advice is to table any action on drilling until you have an oppotunity to inspect similar cars with this equipment.

If pressed, I'm sure you are capable of fabricating a temporary bracket for the switch that would clamp to the bottom lip of the instrument panel.

Posted on: 2010/1/2 15:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Kev, not familiar with Clipper differences but here is Packard layout--maybe the same?? Guess the ultimate location will depend on the curvature of your adapter if there are differences as Brian mentioned.

Attach file:

jpg  (79.39 KB)
209_4b3fb1668826d.jpg 1200X651 px

Posted on: 2010/1/2 15:49
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Howard,

Thanks that was what I was looking for. That seams to jive with the information that Ross sent me where the Antenna switch is to the left of the headlight switch. I just didn't realize that all the '54 had the ash receivers in the same place (under the headlight switch).

The diagram that is in the Service Manual Accessories section must be for a '53 and prior as there is no ash receiver in that location.

Dave,

The gentleman that I met when came to visit you in NJ that owns the '54 (his name escapes me), does he have a power antenna in his car? If so could I trouble you to ask him for a hole center to hole center measurement from the headlight switch to the antenna switch?

Thanks guys!

Posted on: 2010/1/2 19:52
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Kev, his name is Kenn Sly, and his Cavalier has a functioning factory antenna. I'll ask him tomorrow for location and dimensions to/from landmarks. My 54 Patrician also had it and as I recall it was some inches left of the headlight switch, just as shown in the 54 senior dash pictured above. I'll confirm tomorrow.

Posted on: 2010/1/2 20:21
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thanks Dave, I appreciate it! Say hello to Kenn for me. It was a pleasure to ride in his Cavalier.

Posted on: 2010/1/2 22:46
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Hmm? My memory says that our 52 Mayfair had two ashtrays and they were in the same location. Can anyone verify?

Posted on: 2010/1/2 23:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
52 passenger side was in same place as 54 but drivers side was to right of steering wheel where the 54 ign key is.

Posted on: 2010/1/3 0:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Thanks Howard. I remember the key being on the left. So was the antenna - always thought it was odd. I really liked that car - great for dating. Had a very large glove box too. I guess all 51-54 had same drawer sliding out.

Posted on: 2010/1/3 3:00
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved