Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
61 user(s) are online (40 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 59

BigKev, Spencer B., more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: '54 Clipper Antenna Switch Location
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No Kev, it doesn't have that accessory. A local Packard enthusianst just bought that 54 rear window defogger accessory on Ebay which is another rare item to find where the switch would be located, though I believe he said a template was included in the kit. I'll try to get the details.

PS - yes, there is a template for mounting the unit under the rear package shelf, but no separate dash switch, the unit is wired to the primary heater switch so they work in concert.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 13:36
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Just following up on this topic as I now have the Speaker switch. So I need to figure out where it mounts.

The two possible locations are directly under the antenna switch (shown in some of the 1954 Senior dash brochures), or under and to the left of the antenna switch as show in Service Manual. The Service Manual location appears to be a 51-53 location as it doesn't show the ash receiver.

This 1954 senior dash picture from a brochure that shows the knobs underneath one another. I guess the $64,000 question is weather the Clippers in '54 followed this? or did they mount them further to the left as they did in '53?

I am leaning towards the directly under based on the '54 Senior dash, but would like to find a live example or picture to confirm this.

Attach file:

jpg  (62.10 KB)
1_4b6672d672f15.jpg 777X545 px

jpg  (46.71 KB)
1_4b667476172e7.jpg 1280X658 px

Posted on: 2010/2/1 1:26
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
*BUMP*

If anyone knows anybody with a '54 Clipper with a Rear Speaker Switch installed, please let me know. Otherwise I think I am going to go with the '54 Senior located at the mounting location which is directly under the Antenna Switch as opposed to the '53 location which is under and to the left.

Thanks

Posted on: 2010/2/3 18:20
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Kev, Where did the drawing come from showing the 51-54 clipper switch placement. This is really funny. Seems they put stuff all over the place based on which side of the bed the guy got up on that morning. Why would the clipper be so much different than the senior cars of 1951? On my 51/300 the cigarette lighter is above the ash tray to the right of the steering column, The head light switch is to the left of the column with the antenna switch directly below it. The ignition switch is to the left of the headlight switch and the speaker switch is below and to the left of the ignition switch.

Posted on: 2010/2/3 19:40
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Bob,

I drew that based upon the factory template that is in the 51-54 Service Manual accessories section.

The problem is that the Service Manual template is for a 51-53. In '54 they rearranged the dash. The ash receivers moved to the left of the column, and the ignition to the right. Perhaps Packard wanted to standardize the ignition placement with the rest of the industry and with '54 being the first year for a "key start" ignition they figured the time was right.

I have never seen an updated version of the placement template done for the '54 year. So that is why there is confusion and I am trying to draw a consolidated template that shows where everything is supposed to. The only open question is the '54 Rear Speaker switch location. The illustrations/pictures of '54 Senior dashes appear to show it directly under the power antenna switch. Where in '53 in was to left and under. So the question is wether of not the '54 Clippers followed the '54 Seniors in this regard. Once we have an agreed upon answer than I will finalize that diagram to reflect that.

Posted on: 2010/2/3 20:23
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
The illustrations/pictures of '54 Senior dashes appear to show it directly under the power antenna switch. Where in '53 in was to left and under. So the question is wether of not the '54 Clippers followed the '54 Seniors in this regard.

On the earlier cars where the ignition switch was to the left of the head light switch is probably why they moved the rear speaker switch a little farther to the left so it wouldn't be right behind where the key chain would hang down.

Posted on: 2010/2/3 20:40
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Hey thats as good of an answers as I have ever heard!

Posted on: 2010/2/3 21:07
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Ok after much research and checking of photos, manuals, brochures, Kimes book, Crestline Book I think I have settled on the location for '54 is indeed directly under the antenna switch. Here is the updated template. I will also update the one in the photo archive for future reference.

Thanks,

Attach file:

jpg  (52.09 KB)
1_4b6a6859a6889.jpg 1280X666 px

Posted on: 2010/2/4 1:25
-BigKev

Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved