Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 124

Karl, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

World tours??
Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
Has anybody ever done a world tour either individually or with a group...Ive been smitten with the idea or still recovering from a New Years hangover dont know which.hmmm..

Been conversing with my bud in South Africa..and he has done it twice from Capetown to Cairo...and on to the continent..took two months. Took lots of spares to boot..

Havent approached the Mrs on the idea..but guys/gals ya only go around once as they say.

which means a lot of planning and bucks for graft and corruption along the way....thats life outside of the US..a reality check. hmm

Posted on: 2010/1/7 21:12
 Top  Print   

Re: World tours??
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
which means a lot of planning and bucks for graft and corruption along the way....thats life outside of the US..a reality check. hmm

Depending on where your tour stops, being Americans, not sure I wouldn't also consider a flack jacket and bodyguard.

Posted on: 2010/1/7 21:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
oh yes...they did take revolvers with them..and it wasnt for 'bagging game' Fortunately they didnt have to use them.
the made it in time to watch the migration of the herds of antelope and birds in the Serengeti Plains in Tanzania..Wow..

Posted on: 2010/1/7 21:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
HH56..

MG !!! what am i thinking..I dont have to leave the US to experience corruption...One only has to look at our beloved banks and Wall street.

Posted on: 2010/1/7 21:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
sanford wrote: Has anybody ever done a world tour either individually or with a group...my bud in South Africa..and he has done it twice from Capetown to Cairo...and on to the continent..took two months. Took lots of spares to boot....
Sandy,

Your bud taking lots of spares indicates a driving tour or so I presume. Did he do it by Packard, or are you doing it by Packard? Images of Peking to Paris and New York to Paris arise. If you're planning on doing this by Packard it'd be quite an adventure! And if the route takes in Australia, no need to worry about graft, bribes, flackjackets and bodyguards, kangaroos are more of a menace so equipping your Packard with a Roo bar for that part of the tour would be advisable.

Posted on: 2010/1/7 21:49
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
If you go to the following link, you can read about Jim Rogers, who has done it. TWICE!

http://www.jimrogers.com/

Posted on: 2010/1/8 10:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
sanford, My ambitions are not nearly as great as traversing Africa, but I am trying to get the Clipper ready for a trip from Austin, Texas, to Port Townsend, Washington, (and back) this summer. It should be quite an experience. Meanwhile, the car is sitting in the 40 degree garage awaiting the completion of the first phase of the recommissioning, getting the cooling system back together.

A few years ago I met a group of Lancia owners/drivers who were driving the length of old Route 66 from Chicago to Los Angeles. They shipped the cars by boat from Italy to New York and then back home from L.A. after the tour. There were 15 or 20 Lancias from late 1930s models to modern ones. The U.S. tour was their drive that year. They have also driven from Italy to the Arctic Circle, around North Africa, and all over Europe. This is a serious group of drivers. I can put you in touch with a person from the club if you are interested.

(o {} o)

Posted on: 2010/1/8 11:35
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
Ozstatman..yes it would be in my 37 115c bus coupe
JW go for it buddy..many of us live with dreams but never follow thru..Texas to Washington in a Packard..sounds great
Mi Dan..went to website indicated...Wow..

Well, I finally got the courage to drop the bomb on Mama Dee
She was sitting reading one of those 'chick books' by Nora Roberts..Said ..Honey?? I wanna take a round the world trip in the Packard.. She said okay...when?? I said "2011 and gave her a rough itinerary." Michigan to Miami..steamer to Rio, Rio to Buenos Aires, steamer to Oz.

She said...Well....if you come back with a cig dangling out of your mouth and the smell of scotch you might as well stay with one of your buddies along with your 'bush hat'
(hmmm I guess i had better learn the in's and out's of Rugby and Cricket then..lolo)

so then I contacted an exchange student we had in our home back in 1978, a Marcio Relvas of Rio. He was a young 17 y/o when at our home here in Petersburg, he went on to become an airline captain with Varig after which went to form a brokerage firm in Rio.

I contacted him this week, he was so excited I then told him of my intentions. I also told him there was a Packard Club located in one of the burbs of Rio. there was a pause.and he said that is a very unsafe part of town. You will stay with us. He said hopefully you can come in time for Carnival. My wife and i along with my parents will take you to one of the Samba Clubs(like american country clubs) or Football Clubs(soccer)

. We will show you how to 'samba'... At Carnival the women are beautiful..the men are beautiful and Papa Sandy..the Samba is a very very very sensual Brazillian dance.(yeah i bet it is..better take my BP pills along..at 62 I wouldnt be able to take the stess...Move over Gov. Mark Sanford and Ricky Martin)

He went on to say, I know nothing about vintage cars since Im into hand gliding and scuba diving. Depending on how long you stay, we will make sure that your journey is a safe one and we will make sure you stay with our friends and family along your route to Buenos Aires. Do you know how to ride a horse?? We have close business aquaintances in Argentina..and you can bcome a "gaucho" lolol(portuguese for 'cowboy'

Posted on: 2010/1/9 18:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
sanford wrote: Ozstatman..yes it would be in my 37 115c bus coupe......a rough itinerary." Michigan to Miami..steamer to Rio, Rio to Buenos Aires, steamer to Oz. She said...Well....if you come back with a cig dangling out of your mouth and the smell of scotch you might as well stay with one of your buddies along with your 'bush hat'
(hmmm I guess i had better learn the in's and out's of Rugby and Cricket then..lolo)
Sandy,

Round the world in a '37 115c Coupe! I'd like to see that! You'll be very warmly welcomed here in Oz when you arrive. Keep us up to date with your plans and estimated arrival/departure dates.

Posted on: 2010/1/10 1:13
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
Ostatman..

Im gonna have to get hold of a Dorian Radue an avid vintage motorcycle buff. She and a group of S. Africans did a vintage motorcycle tour from SA to Oz some years back. She has been a guest in our home. If I recall she and others did a motorcycle tour from the African continent to India, Malaysia ending up in Oz. Im sure she could give me some insight on the issues they encountered. I believe her motorcycle was a vintage 1935 Enfield(British??)..She immigrated to OZ last year. She's probably in her mid 40's, single and hot looking..make a 'Commorant take flight off the radiator cap !!!...lol all kidding aside.. a very nice lady who takes a no nonsense approach to life but enjoys life and the adventures it brings.

Posted on: 2010/1/11 6:22
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved