Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 140

Packard Don, Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

Re: Beating a Dead horse - 6v AC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
ROFL! Now that's almost as good as the mounting the house AC in the back of the pickup truck :)

http://jlbco.hypermart.net/59ac.htm

thinking that plumbed in with the compressor + making compressor always on would be rudimentary 50's AC tech, no? Pricey yes.

Edit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360198599088&crlp=1_263602_263622&ff4=263602_263622&viewitem=&guid=a2b738281240a02663b099d0fff16b1b&rvr_id=&ua=M*S%3F&itemid=360198599088#ht_500wt_956

Could that be a 6v solenoid compressor?!

Edit Edit: Looks like part of the line out next to the hot gas valve. Assuming a hot gas valve works ok, i don't see why that wouldn't be a viable option.

Posted on: 2010/1/10 17:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
If you're not concerned about taking the belt off why don't you just weld the pulley solid on an a/c compressor and call it quits? Take the coil out, and weld it up, simple, easy, and you're done. Since you're running a '50 you'll have the wide belt, so an a/c compressor from a tractor would probably work. Or if you know someone that has a machine shop they can whittle out a nice aluminum pulley pretty quickly and it'll be just what you need. Or, you can add a pulley on the water pump behind the fan and drive it from there, on a separate belt. That would be best, IMHO, if you're going to be removing the belt.

Posted on: 2010/1/10 18:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Those are excellent options. I'd only need to remove the belt if driving in cold weather, but i usually only drive the packard when it's warm anyways.

What we were concerned about was that if a)the compressor wasn't cycling or b) there wasn't a hot gas bypass valve instead, then wouldn't we run into some kind of evaporator freezing up issue?

I mean if it works an i don't have to rebuild the compressor every year, i'd be game. It's a cheap and dirty option and i like that. If i could get, say, 5-10 thousand miles between major AC maintenance, i'd be on board asap. The best option for now is probably what you're saying with a pulley system, and finding a hot gas bypass valve to work with it. No electric issues at all at that point.

Posted on: 2010/1/10 18:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Take your favorite 12v clutch and rewind it for 6 volt???

VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe by 55-6 most cars 12v so that Buick compressor will probably be too. The setup complete with gas bypass valve might be worth getting if not outrageous and you want to go vintage looking.

Sounds as if it is shot but maybe can find parts for both--at least you'd probably have a better chance finding parts reasonable on that or someone who can rebuild than anything Packard. You will need to look at some kind of temp regulation like that if going constant on.

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Did the VW Beetle ever have a/c in the 60's? They were 6v up to the late 60's, that may be an option.

Another thing is, if an a/c clutch will operate on 7.5V, why not put in an 8V battery? If you're going to use a 6V alternator I'm sure it can be made to put out 8V. Then at least you'd still have the clutch function so you can shut it off and it will cycle as it's supposed to.

Posted on: 2010/1/10 18:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:

Oh if I knew how/someone could do that, i think 6v ac kits would be common. Retrofitted A6 compressors likely, and sold for like $500 a kit that would perform ok but not as good as newer sanden retrofit kits. If you have an idea how to do that, i'm ALL ears!

http://www.classicautoair.com/GM_OEM_Parts_Valves.html

This page shows different valves that came after hot gas bypass...wondering if using one of those (POA or STV) would prevent evaporator from freezing up...but wouldn't that back up pressure in the system if you throttled it without a bypass? I ordered a cheap service manual on 50's gm ac systems that will give me a hint at how each part interacted with the rest. I know in AC there is more than one way to skin a cat, and no need to chase redundant parts.

Posted on: 2010/1/10 18:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Not a bad idea and actually something I've been toying with trying myself via experimentation. Have a couple of old York compressors that might be suitable. Lots of variables though and I'm not really up on the nuances of coil design.

Quote:
Did the VW Beetle ever have a/c in the 60's? They were 6v up to the late 60's, that may be an option.
I think you are right and someone posted a link to a picture of one with a large York compressor on that small engine one of the first times this issues was thrown around here. Wasn't able to find any 6v coils though so don't know if car had been converted or I just didn't look in right place.

Posted on: 2010/1/10 18:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Quote:

Turbopackman wrote:

Another thing is, if an a/c clutch will operate on 7.5V, why not put in an 8V battery? If you're going to use a 6V alternator I'm sure it can be made to put out 8V. Then at least you'd still have the clutch function so you can shut it off and it will cycle as it's supposed to.

I did consider both of those options...The battery one i've discarded until i do more testing because i don't want to use the sanden compressor that will work with 7.5v (it looks too new and at that point moving to 12v would be cheaper and make more sense)

The beetle angle i'm looking into and will see what i can find. Someone referenced it but no parts shown up as of yet.

I still think we've drug up a lot of good information in here, more than most other forums have on 6v ac theory in one thread.

Posted on: 2010/1/10 18:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Believe by 55-6 most cars 12v so that Buick compressor will probably be too. The setup complete with gas bypass valve might be worth getting if not outrageous and you want to go vintage looking.

Sounds as if it is shot but maybe can find parts for both--at least you'd probably have a better chance finding parts reasonable on that or someone who can rebuild than anything Packard. You will need to look at some kind of temp regulation like that if going constant on.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with temp control and constant on. You can't have everything and sacrifice nothing, and if i don't move to 12v i can't have clutch on and off. So that follows that i need to regulate pressure and temps in an always on compressor situation. Which means adding a hot gas bypass or suction throttling valve of some sort and then something that activates it. That's why i'll be glad for the vintage air book, i have to see how that valve (Which seem plentiful if going STV or POA) gets turned on or off (other than a toggle switch i have to do every 5 minutes :) )

Also, if it has HGB i think that even if it was in a 12 volt system, it was the always on type of system. There's a rebuild kit for the valve for $30, the compressor bearings around for $10. It'd take a lot to clean that one on ebay up and use it, but it'd be doable and it seems like a popular compressor as far as pre A6 ones go.

Posted on: 2010/1/10 18:44
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved