Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
60 user(s) are online (36 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 59

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: '55-'56 A/C Systems
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Greetings, Eric,

It is to be hoped your simple solution is permanent. Question. If there is a spacer between the two pulleys, then the outer portion is no longer an interference fit and thus is un-supported. Am concerned the sheet metal might eventually fatigue.

Second point, even though the harmonic balancers you mention have the same bore diameter as the Packard, none of them are cantilevered way out as is the bad-science Packard design. I am using a Ford Racing balancer on my hot rod engine. If you want to try one, I have an extra. It does require using a different water pump and grinding off the timing tab from the front cover.

thnx, jv.

Posted on: 2007/10/23 22:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"If there is a spacer between the two pulleys, then the outer portion is no longer an interference fit and thus is un-supported. Am concerned the sheet metal might eventually fatigue."

Then use a spacer of the correct thickness.
REGARDLESS, if metal fatigue would be an issue by not being supported then we really have a BIG PROBLEM with the water pump pulley. NO support there!!!!

Posted on: 2007/10/23 22:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Jack, the spacer goes in there because the two pulleys won't bottom out together when assembled. Hence the spacer (I used a couple of washers to dial it in) to make it a solid unit. It's been in my Pat for over a year, at speeds over 90 miles an hour several times, with all the load from the supercharger on it, since I don't have the spring loaded idler like the Avanti originally had.

Posted on: 2007/10/24 2:35
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

docante
See User information
Id be interested in purchasing a bracket with pulleys with sanden compressor, as I have spent quite a bit of time thinking of a way to do this for my 56 Clipper

Posted on: 2008/3/17 23:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Jack Nordstrom mfgs & advertises occasionally in PAC publication the original Packard type correct diameter pulley & longer bolt if the extra PS pulley setup mentioned above doesn't meet your needs.

He also has a bracket for the Sanden but looking at his (which is made for the Hawk), it seems to be a bit over the top for Packards. Maybe its the way his is painted, but my 2 cents says something made along the lines of the original and in the same location would be a better choice-just make the aftermarket so the thermostat can be changed and isn't covered if possible.

His picts can be viewed at the GoldenHawk page in the options, Technical, AC addition.http://www.1956goldenhawk.com/

Posted on: 2008/3/18 9:12
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

CTODWC
See User information
Hello All . . .

Jack Nordstrom has asked that I provide you folks with a scan of his product page.
It is located at this link: http://www.comalnet.com/Packard/

I have included the scanned file as an attachment as well.

Thank you very much.

CTODWC

Attach file:

jpg  (53.06 KB)
641_47f78f35c13a7.jpg 800X618 px

Posted on: 2008/4/5 9:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks for posting where all can see the setup. As I mentioned in an earlier post, for my 2 cents I think the pulley is a good idea because it's correct size so less danger of over revving the compressor & also appears to use a wider belt. Am not convinced on bracket however--mostly because it requires moving/replacing generator. I believe there was an earlier post & picture of a possibly aftermarket type bracket that mounted in original Packard location. Believe it was by Mr Vines but not certain. (The way we mix our post subjects, didn't find it doing a quick search.) Anyway, if someone were to make that type available, it seems to me a better way to go -even if it requires moving oil filter-since we have plenty of hood clearance and it keeps things in stock locations.

Posted on: 2008/4/5 11:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
All u need is flat steel stock, and engine mount, cheap arc welder and willing to get friendly with hack saw and file and grinder.

I used pump and bracket and pulley amd condenser from 84'ish Toyota.

Attach file:

jpg  (31.79 KB)
35_47fc2a8e91222.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.36 KB)
35_47fc2ab68a3f5.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2008/4/8 21:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Predictor
See User information
Seems many of the aftermarket brackets back then were also made of fabbed flat stock. The only "downside" to making up your own brackets is addressing alignment and "squareness" which a properly designed and jig welded aftermarket system (theoretically) avoids.

Posted on: 2009/9/7 0:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"The only "downside" to making up your own brackets is addressing alignment and "squareness" which a properly designed and jig welded aftermarket system (theoretically) avoids"

TRue IF one is going into PRODUCTION of such parts or any part for that matter.

In my case i only needed to make ONE. No special tools or jigs required. Just a 4 foot precision LS Starret steel scale, some machinist squares and an arc welder, and a spare engine for mockup.

My home made bracket has worked just fine for 8 years and over 20K miles. Belt never replaced and still looks good. IT works!. Why do i need to make any production tooling for it??? No alignment problems that i can determine.

My bracket is perhaps a bit crude in appearence compared to 'production' made brackets. But it's designed and fits just like the OEM packard bracket. Just not quite as pretty. I want cool air in the car. Not a dash plack.

Posted on: 2009/9/7 10:40
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved