Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
40 user(s) are online (27 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 39

Mark Stivers, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

wanted 38 6 cylinder
Just popping in
Just popping in

oldautoman
See User information
wanted 38 6 cyl speed equiptment either aluminum head, intake what have you

Posted on: 2010/1/21 10:22
 Top  Print 

Re: wanted 38 6 cylinder
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
No aftermarket intake has ever been produced for the 110/six. I have seen carburetor adapters to use 2bbl carbs used successfully to increase CFM.
Cylinder heads also never aftermarket, though Packard did make them in Aluminum, but the quality was poor and they are not commonly desired. Better bet is to build an engine with heavy duty valve springs, a good valve job, smooth the ports and have the cam reground by a shop that can add a little lift, keeping in mind you are gonna shave the the cast iron head. Right now, IIRC the compression is under 7:1 and can certainly tolerate better.
Now, the 120 is a whole 'nuther animal. I've got a dual carb intake for that...

Posted on: 2010/1/21 18:04
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
I can be of assistance on a brand new finned aluminum head, never installed. PM me your contact info.

Posted on: 2010/1/23 12:57
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Are you still looking for an aluminum head for a 245?

Posted on: 2010/2/7 10:23
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

oldautoman
See User information
yes i am for a 38 motor

Posted on: 2010/2/22 9:50
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
PM sent

Posted on: 2010/2/22 20:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
g'day all, I updated my 1938 Six with 200 thou taken from the head, the valves do not strike it , it is bored out 62.5 thou and runs a Ford Cortina 250 cu in carby and with an R6 trans and really flies. At 70 mph On prolonged hills it will drift back to 65 mph on OD but it hits a genuine 100 mph on downhill, wind with you sections. It will sit on 80 mph all day. I have won all of my bets with contemporary English "sports Cars" until the road speed restrictions really came in. Most performance claims are under very favourable conditions with new cars. Many so called 'sports cars' will not rev unless the owner has the dwell and timing just right. My response to the trhread is that there is a great deal of improvement available in the 245 motor if you increase the capacity, comp ratio and push a big fuel pipe down it's throat. I still maintain and bet $500 to all comers that my 1938 Six will flog any standard geared 1938 Eight, Super Eight or Twelve in Australia. It is however just a pussy to my 38-120 with the R6 and updated 54-327 with Holley 600. I can't wait for the flak on this one. Best Regards Peter Toet.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 5:11
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
You could build a very sneaky flathead 6 hop up. By that I mean pick up about 25% in extra horsepower with no visible mods, and drive as smoothly as stock.

The formula includes higher compression, either a shaved stock head or aluminum head. Reground cam, not too wild. New stock valve springs shimmed .060. 3 angle valve job and port and polish job (optional).

Larger carb on stock intake. Stock exhaust manifold with an exhaust pipe 1/2" larger than stock. Stock type muffler or Flowmaster, your choice.

And an old hop up trick now forgotten, the shaved flywheel. A machinist can take quite a bit of weight off the old flywheel without harming its functional qualities in the least. The light flywheel will give whippier acceleration.

One more thing that can be done, is to use a modern paper air filter which is more free breathing than the old oil bath. You do not have to use a modern looking filter. I have seen one made out of a saucepan that looked just like the old filters at first glance.

These engines were very detuned for smoothness, silence and low speed pulling power. A few simple tricks can pep them up with a small loss of refinement.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 23:12
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Oldautoman,

I apologize, I must have fouled up the first PM, I sent another.

Jim

Posted on: 2010/2/23 23:19
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
1956 Patrician in driveway (05/10/2022)
1956 Patrician in driveway
Pennsylvania Sunset (05/08/2022)
Pennsylvania Sunset
20220427_105704.jpg (04/27/2022)
20220427_105704.jpg
Photo of the Day
1911 PACKARD TRUCK ADVERT-B&W
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2021, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved