Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
33 user(s) are online (24 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 33

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1954 Panther
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Which Panther is this?

Click to see original Image in a new window

I have never seen this view of the rear with the '54 Clipper tail lights on it. I love the lines of it.

Posted on: 2010/2/1 0:52
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: 1954 Panther
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I think that's the "Pink Panther". LOL.

Actually, isn't that the 1954 Panther Daytona?

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2010/2/1 1:33
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Hmmmm....I wonder why I never noticed those taillights before. I guess I have always seen that front 3/4 view.

Posted on: 2010/2/1 1:37
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Yeah, pretty deceiving, huh?

Posted on: 2010/2/1 1:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Kev -

All the Panthers were built with those '54 Clipper taillights - at least, originally.

I learned of the modifications decades ago, but according to:

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/c/creative/creative.htm

...the Panther bodies were fabricated by Creative Industries and then turned over to Iona Manufacturing (then, a subsidiary of Mitchell-Bentley), for final assmebly and trim. However, two of the Panthers were "presented" to the respective owners of those two companies, and then refitted with the 55th Series Senior taillights and rear bumper. A couple of pix on the cited webpage show each version.

Though I am a big fan of the cathedral taillights, I prefer the Panther as it was originally designed. IMHO, the '54 Clipper's taillights were the best-looking of those used on any Packard from 1951-54. Still, I like all of the Panthers.

That coachbuilt.com site is a tremendous wealth of information. Looks like Creative Industries had a hand in several of Packard's concept cars.

When I was just a kid, I used to brag about GM being so vertically-integrated, but was surprised to learn (even before I found the coachbuilt.com site) just how much work GM farmed-out to Iona - like station wagon bodies well into the 1960s.

Posted on: 2010/2/1 10:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There is some history, though dated now, of the Panther Daytonas under the thread "postwar coachbuilt Packards". The Kanter Daytona has subsequently been sold to Ralph Marano who I believe now has two of the four.

Posted on: 2010/2/1 10:31
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved