Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Air Conditioning and engine temperature?
Just popping in
Just popping in

Wade Harral
See User information
I am installing air conditioning on my 48 Station Sedan and have everything ready to go but am concerned about the engine overheating. I have seen AC on some other Packards but did not cheek to see if the radiator and fan had been replaced with different units to reduce the engine heating. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted on: 2010/2/1 6:49
 Top  Print 

Re: Air Conditioning and engine temperature?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Guess it mostly depends on your climate and if planning prolonged low speed driving. Packard did have a larger radiator and 5 & 6 blade fans for their factory AC cars. No other changes I am aware of. Since AC was not offered in 48 but if memory serves those are fairly substantial radiators, if the rest of the cooling system is in good shape you might get away with just with a more robust fan.

When you get it done, would appreciate some pictures, what you used and how you mounted things. Many on the forum are contemplating best way and what to use on those cars where no factory option was offered.

Posted on: 2010/2/1 9:05
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
You might get away with just a supplimental electric fan in front of the radiator, those 22nd-23rd series radiators seem more than adequate to the thermal demands of the job. Having an engine that dissaptes heat well would be a prerequsite--make sure your cooling passenges are clean. Borden's used to make "Number 7" engine cooling system cleaner, an acid powder that you added to a dry radiator, then filled with water, ran until it was weall at temp, cooled off, drained then you poured in a second power rom another chamber in the paper container, it was a neturalizer. All kinds of funky brown crud would come out when you backflushed after using the acid powder, and in general, things ran much better, this was usually accompanied with a new thermostat and housing gasket, at the least, I would replace the upper and lower radiator hoses and heater hoses at this time too, not knowing their age or integrity.

Posted on: 2010/2/1 9:17
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The first powder was oxalic acid which has the somewhat unique ability to "chelate or sequester" (solubilize) iron and it's oxides (rust). Google "chelation" for more insight. It's not a particularly strong acid but precautions like rubber gloves and safety glasses are recommended. It's not particularly aggressive against tin and lead (solder) and other materials of construction within the cooling system and thus should be safe to use except in cases where rust is the only thing holding things together. The second powder is sodium carbonate or bicarbonate to neutralize residual oxalic acid. It's certainly among the most effective radiator cleaners, far more effective than the single salt (trisodium phosphate) types.

Posted on: 2010/2/1 9:45
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Owen, I am up on chelation, my son had issues with metal toxicity when he was an infant due to the use of Thimerasol in vaccenes, which is thought to be a contributing factor in autisim. He is not autistic, but had severe skin reaction problems. A chelation therapy was used to remove metals from his blood.

Posted on: 2010/2/1 12:49
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, I had actually forgotten about the medical uses, I've heard of that and had another friend who had chelation treatment for Thallium poisoning. I hope you son is now leading a happy, normal life, and thanks for the reminder about those uses.

Posted on: 2010/2/1 13:38
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Owen, he is fine, as normal as his DNA will allow! (he is my son). My wife is quite a crusader against the use of Thimerosal (which contains mercury) in vaccines, our next door neighbor's boy is very autistic, he had a bad reaction to a vaccination and many feel that it is attributable to the heavy metals used as preservatives in vaccines.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 9:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I can't seem to find that the Borden's stuff is available anymore. Do any companies still offer the acidic cleaner?

Posted on: 2010/2/4 11:51
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
To answer the initial question based on prewar information, I was just reading through the 1941 Data Book and it states that the air conditioned cars equipped with the 356cid engine did NOT need a different fan than what was normally used. ONLY the 110/120 cars with the smaller engine received a different fan, which was the same one used for the 356 engine.

Posted on: 2010/6/13 11:02
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Electricfans are great as long as they directly against the radiator. Some cars prohibit such mounting. 55-56 Packards are an example unless mounted BEHIND the radiator which mite mean removing the oem fan. A fan shroud is far more effective but not always ez to install or fabricate.

Electric fans mounted more than 1 or 2 inches from radiator are at best meaningless and usualy more of hinderance than a help

Posted on: 2010/6/13 11:38
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved