Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
177 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 176

moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Letter to Editor
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

West Peterson wrote:
Quote:

clipper47 wrote:
... my father and grandfather (who worked for several years in the 1920's at the prestigious Detroit Athletic Club of which Henry Joy was a prominent member)...

Dave
Do you have any good first-hand stories about some of those prominent members?

The only one I can remember is that my grandfather bought a 1928 Packard 526 roadster in the early 30's and he asked Louis Chevrolet to test drive it. Louis's answer was something like "It's a Packard; buy the car." and my grandfather did. He kept the car for many years. He also mentioned meeting Henry Leland's at Leland's house in the Indian Village neighbourhood of Detroit when Leland was a very old man but when I don't know although it was likely in the 1920's. My grandfather died in 1963 and had an amazing life including working in Hollywood in the early 1900's with fellow Canadian Mac Sennett and the Keystone Cops in silent movies as a bit actor and then when war broke out he returned to Canada and served in the Canadian Army in World War 1 from 1914-1918 .
On another note I was a game warden along the shore of Lake St Clair in the early 1970's. I stopped Henry Ford 11 once on a gravel road coming from his hunting lodge and inspected his licence and ducks he had shot. He was driving a Pinto Station wagon. I met Roy Chapin Jr., at the time Board Chairman of AMC (son of Roy Chapin, one of the founders of the Hudson Car Company) several times and once had to shut down all hunting at his marsh for unlawful baiting of waterfowl although it done by the marsh manager without his knowledge . They were both real gentlemen.

Posted on: 2010/2/17 16:09

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved