Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
167 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 166

CCR, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1939 super 8 L-8 Oil filter
Just popping in
Just popping in

supereight
See User information
My L-8 ? oil filter was modified internally to take a new type spin on filter. But as I did not do the work or have ever had the unit apart, can anyone tell me how to open the original canister, It is 4" dia says inlet at one end and outlet/ front on the other. Does it split or is it threaded?
Any advice gratefully recieved before I destroy it, it also leaks slightly at this joint!

Posted on: 2010/2/21 13:43
 Top  Print   

Re: 1939 super 8 L-8 Oil filter
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
If it is the style conversion I have it is threaded with an o-ring. I put two bolts in the holes at each end it attaches to the supply and return lines at and use a small bar wedged between the two bolts to get leverage to unscrew the two halves. I recommend scribing a whiteness mark in order to avoid over tightening. The filter element is the supper common Ford spin on FL-1A or equivalent such as Fram PH-13 and so on. Count your blessings it is converted already, this is a $500 conversion from the usual suppliers here in the U.S.

Best of luck,
Jim

Posted on: 2010/2/21 13:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If the conversion is the Burr-Ripley the housing doesn't unscrew, but uses a modified spin-on cartridge inside. Many folks I l know use the Burr-Ripley conversion for the L-6 (1934) an L-8 (35-39?). In the Ripley design, the filter screws to the expected flange in one end, and the filter is modified to have a brazed outlet on the other than just pokes thru the housing, thus there no longer is any oil within the space between the filter and housing, so no need for a seal.

EDIT Less sure about the R&A Engineering conversion. The soldered threaded rings and o-ring gasket was originally a CCCA project.

Posted on: 2010/2/21 16:45
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

supereight
See User information
Dear Jim / Owen

Many thanks for your help, the previous owners restoration bills listed the following on March 1999 "removed oil filter, cut apart and cleaned. Glass beaded filter can parts. Worked to convert to a spin on filter. Soldered end on the oil filter can, glass beaded and tested for leaks, re-soldered one end and ground it on, glass beaded again, pressure tested and worked on leaks in oil filter, resoldered, ground, glass beaded and cleaned oil filter, reassembled, pressure tested to 70 PSI, NO LEAKS"
There is a filter kit listed for $81.25 and a Fram filter.

There appears to be oil sloshing in the canister and there has been some leakage from the joint to the old cainster so I am assuming it is the O ring conversion and I will try and unscrew with caution.

thanks again.

Marcus

Posted on: 2010/2/22 4:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
I think I have this same kit that Owen talked about. It consists of two metal rings with o-rings gasket and a pipe nipple. The instructions that came with it (my father purchased this kit before I inherited the car) are very vague on how to make this conversions.

Marcus,

Could you please post some pictures when and if you get it apart so we can see what it looks like.

Thanks

Posted on: 2010/2/22 7:16
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Though the cost is a disadvantage (about $465 last time I looked) and so is having to buy the spin-on elements from Ripley (or modify them youself), I really like the design of his conversion because all the oil is contained within the spin-on unit and not within the outer housing. Remember, this is a full-flow system so any leak can cause starvation to the bearings, etc.

Posted on: 2010/2/22 9:25
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

supereight
See User information
I will post some pictures as soon as get into it.
My oil pressure was quite low (I think the oil was a bit thin too, just changed to a classic 20 - 50 but not checked to see if pressure is better) and the canister was leaking and blowing oil over the engine compartment so what you say about bearings is very pertinent. Previous owner had recipts for over $200,000 to restore the car, so I would not skimp on matters of oil either.

regards

Marcus

Posted on: 2010/2/22 12:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
While I was attending a car show at Carlisle PA (father days weekend a few years back) I found a By-pass Oil Filter Mounting bracket. Went to home store purchase some brass fitting to plumb it up to the existing lines. I ran it like this for about a year before I started my restoration.It did not drop in oil pressure at all with this setup. I know not original but will change over once we figure out how to customize an original filter.

In these picture you can see the aftermarket filter.
Modified Filter Setup
Modified Filter Setup 1

Attach file:

jpg  (6.81 KB)
44_4b82c7691b941.jpg 280X280 px

Posted on: 2010/2/22 13:12
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Tom, doesn't your car use the Purolater EF-2? Those are readily available as a conversion kit to duplicate OEM appearance, aren't they?

Posted on: 2010/2/22 14:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kip56
See User information
Does anyone offer a similar conversion kit for a 39 12?

Thanks.

Posted on: 2011/10/22 15:47
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved