Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
81 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 80

JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Work On the 1953 Derham Formal
Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Congratulations!

Quote:
Regards and yes Mal I am registering the car now.

Bwaa haa haaa! You've officially been here to long. Ha Ha Ha.

Posted on: 2010/6/25 15:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Thanks Guscha,

We have had the An-2 for quite a while. I was a volunteer B17 mechanic for several years. What a blast.

Keep 'em Flying.

Posted on: 2010/6/25 16:25
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Stephen -

Congrats on acquiring a very interesting Packard.

I also wanted to advise, though a bit late, on a couple of comments you made WRT the Easamatic (Bendix Treadle-Vac) power brake unit.

Previously (on 3/5 21:28:55), you wrote:

Quote:
The car has the Easamatic brakes, but bugger all what a --- up place to put the master cylinder.

Later (on 3/18 0:31:38), you wrote:

Quote:
I am getting more moving parts moving with the Deep Creep with notable exception of the trunk lock and brake pedal.

Sounds like the hydraulic piston has bonded to the rubber seal. Attempts to revive ANY old brake master cylinder in this condition will prove futile (if not dangerous). I bet if you look inside the master cylinder reservoir, you'll find a lot of crud that used to be brake fluid. I would recommend you remove the entire power brake unit for overhaul, but doing so is not as bad as you might think.

Sure, it's a tight fit down there, but only a few things have to be disconnected from underneath; the rest is done from inside of the car. Be sure to download and review the Brakes section of the 1951-1954 Service Manual - it's FREE.

While the power brake unit is being overhauled, you can inspect the steel tubing, rubber hoses, wheel cylinders, and brake servos. When it comes to brakes, leave no stone unturned.

Posted on: 2010/6/25 16:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
BH,

Thank you very much. As far as brakes go, you are preaching to the choir.

After posting about the location of the master cylinder way back when, I remembered that when I had my 47 Chev panel truck back in the early seventies, the master cylinder was in the same location. I had a brake line blow in traffic on that.

All I could think of as the New Riders of the Purple Sage and their tune "Henry" as I avoided traffic going through a red light with no brakes. It must have been a sight to see. I am still a unrepentant DFH.

Posted on: 2010/6/25 16:50
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Congratulations Stephen! This seems like a most worthy candidate of being saved; and the recipient of your time and effort. Looks like you have your work cut out, but the end result will be worth it.

I am glad to see this particular car get the attention it deserves. Please keep us posted on your progress.

BTW, I got a ride in Aluminum Overcast some time ago. Like your experience in Texas Raiders, it was a life changing moment for me as well!

Jim

Posted on: 2010/6/26 0:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Stephen wrote:......yes Mal I am registering the car now.
for including your '53 Derham Patrician Custom Formal Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry. A very interesting car Stephen, I'll be following your blog as things progress.

Posted on: 2010/6/26 7:10
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Congratulations on making the '53 Derham yours! Hope it isn't too rusty from the savage Buffalo winters to save. More than one special Packard has been restored by using a solid car from the western US, transferring the unique parts to recreate the Packard.

I live about 20 miles from Geneseo, will be at the Airshow on Saturday. Our East Grand Packard members are invited to attend.

Steve

Posted on: 2010/6/26 7:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Steve,

Glad you East Grand folks are coming to the show. I will be there all week for set up and I photograph the show (usually write an article for the air show program and my work is the centerfold this year). Perhaps we can meet up in the car show area or you can look for me in the crew tent.

Buffalo winters aren't usually all that bad. This car was scooched by having a custom canvas tarp over it for twenty nine years with a leaking garage roof. Trapped the moisture and the windows on the drivers side went down. Difference between driver and passenger side is night and day. Already have a line on a 53 Patrician parts car by way of Nevada.

Regards,

Stephen

Posted on: 2010/6/28 20:20
Stephen
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved