Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Utica Engine Number Prefixes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Factory built cars with stick and Easamatic had a low clutch pedal with the pedal turned sideways so it nearly matched the brake pedal in height and in orientation. I have this in my overdrive 55 Clipper Deluxe, and have seen it in a 54 Clipper Super and some '53 I can't recall this moment. The low pedal was achieved with a rubber stop under the toeboard and possibly some change in geometry as the action was quite nice in spite of the short throw. Factory cars with manual brakes got of course a high clutch with a vertical pedal. Oddly enough, I have never been able to find part numbers for any of the "low clutch" pieces, not even the sideways pedal. I'll try to get a photo posted tomorrow if I can master the technology.

Posted on: 2009/7/29 21:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
No, I didn't. I'll ask the next time I'm there, and knowing the way things have been going with the '48 lately, it won't be too long!

Posted on: 2009/7/29 21:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
ive only seen the pics online, but i did see one ( i think it was a '56 400) with standard shift. It had the same "disappearing pedal" as the '54 and earlier cars, which looked strange next to the suspended power brake pedal. perhaps Packard was using leftover pieces due to the limited numbers produced with manual shift?

Posted on: 2009/7/30 21:01
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

55panama
See User information
I have had several 55 Packards with od and power brakes. Everyone had the clutch pedal higher than the brake. I know for a fact that one was a factory original. Family car all its life. It seems the low clutch pedal would not allow much room for adjustment.

Posted on: 2009/7/31 9:50
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I have had several 55 Packards with od and power brakes. Everyone had the clutch pedal higher than the brake. I know for a fact that one was a factory original.

That just seems to me to be intuitively correct. The clutch was just a standard clutch linkage and pedal, and the faster stopping distance claimed TreadleVac was due primarily to reduced reaction time because the pedal was at about the same height as the accelerator and hence required less foot movement to hit the brakes. So I'd think anything other than a standard clutch height and typical low power brake pedal is the way it had to be from the factory. Anything else is probably the result of some rework subsequent to original build.

Posted on: 2009/7/31 10:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
What about pedal height in other makes that offered stick/PB ????.

Posted on: 2009/7/31 14:51
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Finally got my picture! This is a 55 Clipper Deluxe. I am aware of two other cars with this same setup.

Attach file:

jpg  (118.98 KB)
618_4a7e2f3c08f4e.jpg 1136X852 px

Posted on: 2009/8/8 21:07
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Al Nowak
See User information
i am starting to restore my 1956 400 ht and i was looking on the engine for the number all i can find is the number
6480406cd right below the left valve cover this engine is seized and the replacement i have for it is the same number i am confused can anyone help me find the motor size??

Posted on: 2012/1/12 13:20
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
i am confused can anyone help me find the motor size??

The original engine size should be a 374. The number you found is probably a casting number. Factory production motor number is on a flat area on the top front of block.

Facing the engine from the front, side to side it will be in the flat space on the block in area to the right of the oil fill and close to the drivers side head in front of filter--usually about halfway between lifter valley cover edge and water pump manifold. May be faintly stamped and covered with grease. If your car has factory AC or a compressor in the normal factory space, it probably will not be visible. If engine original to car, will be the same as your vehicle number 5687-xxxx. If not the original engine, any number with the first 4 digits less than 568x such as a 564x, 566x, 567x will be a 352.

Utica numbers have been reported there and also on a vertical flange to rear side of engine below the passenger side exhaust manifold.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 13:39
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Utica engine plant # in the original and traditional location. Later in 1956 it could be found in any number of other locations.

Attach file:

jpg  (73.27 KB)
177_4f0f3297223fe.jpg 1077X787 px

Posted on: 2012/1/12 14:18
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved