Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Utica Engine Number Prefixes
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I have seen several Caribbean convertibles with the engine number stamped on a boss on the passenger side of the engine just to the left of the water manifold. My 56 Patrician is also stamped there and I would assume that is because of AC.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 15:30
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Al Nowak
See User information
thanks I will start there i looked on the door for the vin and got 5687-1647 ?? i have to start taking pic too

Posted on: 2012/1/12 15:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information

Posted on: 2012/1/12 20:08
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Al Nowak
See User information
after a little scraping and wiping I found numbers on both blocks, The good motor I have has only has 3 numbers which are (206) and on the seized one has 4 numbers which are (2874) I would like to know the size for the crate motor (206) and if it will fit in the 400. Thanks for any help in finding these numbers

Posted on: 2012/1/17 10:30
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I would like to know the size for the crate motor (206) and if it will fit in the 400.

Finding the size may prove to be difficult. I don't recall mention of any reference to V8 service engine numbers but I hope someone proves me wrong.

A couple of bulletins said engines for service were not stamped with Utica numbers. I take that to mean the normal letter identifier of the Utica number is not there. If so, the guess as to size in correlation to model it was destined for is of no help. Replacement engines were sold by the factory part numbers which sometimes have no relationship to anything you can cross reference today.

I believe it was determined some time back that the casting number is not a reliable indicator but just on the offchance it is, compare the two. I have two 374 engines and the number 440971 is cast in the middle top of bellhousing at rear of engine. I believe the castings were the same for 352 and 374 and if so, no help.

The engine itself will fit but obviously the CID will be a disappointment if it's the smaller engine and you want to keep as original as possible. Studebaker made matters worse in 1960 by offering a surplus of 352 service engines to the dealers at a firesale price. As mentioned in bulletin 350 they advised dealers to offer the smaller engines as replacements for 374s if the customers wanted to save money on an engine replacement. I would imagine a lot of those smaller crate engines might have moved into dealer stock at the low price and still pop up today.

EDIT: PV8s question on casting date is good. Mine are 10-4-55 and 10-11or17-55

Posted on: 2012/1/17 11:54
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
quote:
"only has 3 numbers which are (206) and on the seized one has 4 numbers which are (2874) I..."

WHere on the engine block are those numbers stamped???? What color are the blocks???? And what date is CAST into the top of the bellhousing at the rear????

Posted on: 2012/1/17 12:59
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Al Nowak
See User information
they were stamped on the rear of the block passenger side flat spot below the head near the oil check and trans check i will take pics tomorrow to help better things

Posted on: 2012/1/17 18:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Looking at Henry's blog his motor is stamped on the back 440275.

The service concealer vol 29, no 5, page 29 talks about engine numbers.

The Packard Service Technical Bulletin 55T - 33, dealer 24, dated July 14, 1955, is on service engines. The last paragraph talks about how to tell the difference of the engines by looking on the flywheel housing. Casting number 446521 is the 3-3/16" bore. Casting 440275 is the 4" bore.

Posted on: 2012/1/17 21:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Henry's block is a 1956 block. I can not remember which model it was.

Posted on: 2012/1/17 21:34
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Glad you remembered that bulletin & to be proven wrong. Is there a reference for 56 or can we be comfortable in saying those two numbers plus the 440971 is maybe the 4 1/8 & would cover them all.

EDIT: I believe he was doing the 352 so there is a good possibility that 3 numbers covers them all.

Posted on: 2012/1/17 21:34
Howard
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved