Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Wheel Cover and Hub Cap Identification Guide
Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
The unknown cover above is Oldsmobile, very late 40s or early 50s, my uncles '39 has small caps, and my 56 and 56 were different and more modern. My guess is 50-53.

Posted on: 2010/3/18 9:40
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Kev
I hesitate to answer exactly what this fits, as there may be slight differences between Juniors and Seniors. This cap (or type of cap) with the script was used for all the early 1940 Packards. However, I don't recall the red hex in the background of the Senior cars. The cloisonne cap was introduced later in the year.

Attach file:

jpg  (55.25 KB)
404_4ba2432799b98.jpg 507X581 px

Posted on: 2010/3/18 10:09
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Some information that came to me on email says that this may have been used on the regular (non-deluxe) models. Any thoughts?

Posted on: 2010/3/18 11:33
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kens53clip
See User information
I was not even born in 1940 so I certainly do not have first hand personal knowledge on the plain Packard hubcap without the series (110, 120, 160, or 180) but I think based on Packard ads I have seen that Packard offered it on all Packards of whatever series. I understand that sometimes Packard artists may have taken "artistic license" so perhaps that is not a strong argument. I attach a poor copy of a 1940 Packard 180 ad featuring air conditioning that to me appears to use the plain Packard hubcap. It is taken from Packard 1899-1942, a collection of ads compiled by H.A. Mueller, M.D. and published in 1973. I also have seen an ad that appears to use the hubcap featuring a 1940 Packard Custom Sport Sedan (4 door) One Eighty by Derham. These were not cheap cars, folks.
Ken

PS The poor quality of the ad should reflect on the limitations of my scanner or my ability in using it, not the book or the original ad.

Attach file:

jpg  (108.76 KB)
1216_4ba3a7c2219f3.jpg 857X1280 px

Posted on: 2010/3/19 11:35
Ken
53 Clipper Deluxe 4 Dr.

Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The folks who remanufacture this cap should probably know the application. I'll ask and when I get their answer or an answer from another knowledgeable person, I'll just ammend this post with that info.

Posted on: 2010/3/19 12:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
The way I understand it, the cloisonne cap was introduced mid-year 1940. All early 1940 Packards had a "plain" cap. I have a call into Jim Hollingsworth, I'll let you know what he has to say about it.

Posted on: 2010/3/19 12:25
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thanks guys, I appreciate you running this down for me. Also if anyone has a better "heads-on" and cleaner picture of this style of hub cap, then please send it over!

Posted on: 2010/3/19 12:31
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kens53clip
See User information
My point was that, based on their ads, Packard apparently offered the plain Packard hubcap on their most expensive cars.

I sent an email on the plain Packard cap to Bill Hirsch, Inc.on March 17 and Mr. Bill Hirsch himself responded. As most of you may know, he sells authentic reproduction Packard hubcaps, including for 1940 models. I sent a copy to BigKev, telling Mr. Hirsch that I would do so, and that prompted Big Kev to make an earlier post in this thread. I am sure Bill Hirsch knows a lot more about Packard hubcaps than I do. I appreciate his response. Here are my questions to him about the hubcap and his response:

1. On what years and models of Packard is this the correct hubcap? IT IS THE STANDARD HUBCAP THAT WAS USED ON SOME 1940 & 41 PACKARD 120, 160'S- i
2.Have you ever sold a reproduction of this hubcap? NO- WE NEVER TOOLED UP FOR THIS ONE
3. Do you plan to sell a reproduction of this hubcap in the future? NO

KEVIN- WHILE WE DO MAKE ALL OF THE HUBCAPS FOR THE 1940 & 41 PACKARDS, WE MAKE THE DELUXE ONES ONLY THAT SAY ON THE FACE OF THEM, PACKARD 110, PACKARD 120, PACKARD 160
AND THE ONE FOR THE 180 THAT HAS A CHROME AND RED CLOISONNE MEDALLION ON THE FACE OF IT THAT SAYS "PACKARD 180"- GUYS THAT HAVE A 120, 160, & FOR SURE A 180, DO NOT WANT THE SAME HUBCAP THAT IS ON A 110- I ASSUME THAT'S WHY PACKARD MADE THEM BOTH WAYS.

I HOPE I HAVE BEEN OF HELP,

BILL HIRSCH

Posted on: 2010/3/19 13:04
Ken
53 Clipper Deluxe 4 Dr.

Project Blog
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved