Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 143

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Just bought a 1956 Patrician (newbie to Packard)
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dr.Stuart Schaller, PhD
See User information
A little about me: I'm a retired college professor, having taught at Cambridge in England for 20+ years. Just turned 60 years old. Returned to the US in 1997 to take care of my mother who was ill. She passed away in 1999. I was born in Geneva, Switzerland, moved to England when 3. Moved to England when 7. Moved to Chicago in 1954, and was there until 1968, when I graduated Northwestern. From 1968 until 1997, spent 75% of my time in Europe and 25% in the US.

My car's ('56 Packard Patrician) info is now on the register list here.

My area of expertise is oddball Italian sports-racing cars, Alfas, Fiats, and Lancias from the 1930s though the 1960s. I am considered one of the world's experts on Italian sports car auto racing history. I know something about 50s American cars, but am FAR from an expert.

This is my first big American car, and first American car in at least 20 years. My last American car was a 1970 Pontiac Trans-Am Ram Air V (nope, don't still have it, sold it around 1978)

I am also trying to find a big "needs nothing" Nash Ambassador, as Pininfarina, and Italian company, designed the bodies from circa 1952 through 1956. My favorite would be a '56, but I have only seen 2 of them in the last 30 years!

Questions:
What size tires were original to the Packard? The car currently has 235/75x15s

Where can I get rubber door and trunk seals, as this these are the only things needed fairly badly? Do they have to be custom made by someone like Wefco in Santa Monica, California?

Where can I get the proper carpet material, or have a correct set made up?

Comments: This is a NW US car, and it only has about 60,000 original miles. The only body damage is right at the point the driver's side rear skirt attaches, hence the skirts sitting in the trunk.

Paint is slightly faded with some minor chipping and down to the primer in some small sports, interior is near mint original.

I'm the 5th owner. The motor was rebuilt 2 owners/about 10 years ago.

Thanks all in adavance for your help.

PS: Will probably have some spares as soon as I get to sort out what is in the trunk, which includes a lot of old club magazines, small parts, etc...

Attach file:

jpg  (8.30 KB)
372_4725fe3cd2096.jpg 300X225 px

Posted on: 2007/10/29 10:38
 Top  Print 

Re: Just bought a 1956 Patrician (newbie to Packard)
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Very nice car, welcome to the Website. I am sure you will find gentlemen here that can help you with any questions that you may have.

You will also find a wealth of information in the articles section for the 1956 series/model year.

Posted on: 2007/10/29 11:27
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Welcome, and I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of your Packard. Original tires were biased-belted, 8:00 x 15 and apparently 8:20 x 15 was an option, though I'm not absolutely certain of that. The radial tire size you mentioned is commonly substituted for non-show cars.

I don't know if you can get a carpet set EXACTLY the same as the original, though the kits that Bill Hirsch sells are good fits and in the appropriate color can come pretty close for all models but the Caribbean.

Posted on: 2007/10/29 12:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Stuart: Welcome to the the this web site and the forum. If you take time to explore this site. You will find a good deal of information on 55 and 56 Packard's. If you have any technical questions there are a couple of people in here that I consider to be just about experts on 55 and 56 Packard's. They are always willing to help and give advice when asked. Certainly looks like a very nice car that you have purchased.

The Societa Anonima Carrozzeria Pinin Farina established in Turin on May 22 1930. Founded by Battista Farina whom prefered to be called Pinin. One of the persons that talked Pinin into open his own shop was Vincenzo Lancia. Lanci along with Giovanni Battista De valle, Gaspare Bono, Pietro Monateri, and Arrigo De Angeli helped support the Society.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2007/10/29 16:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Stuart: For your rubber door and trunk seals you might try Steelrubber.com.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2007/10/29 17:38
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Stuart,

A warm welcome aboard from down under. A very nice car and has been said there is plenty of support here should you need it.

Posted on: 2007/10/29 18:47
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
A warm welcome to a new Packard owner. That looks like a fine example of a 56 Patrician. There is a wealth of Packard knowledge here and on the PAC club forum and the AACA forum. You will probably want to join one or both of the Packard clubs. PAC is primarily east and midwest and Packards International is west coast. Both are fine clubs and have good publications. The price per year is modest for the benefits gained. Steelerubber.com will send you a free catalog of their products to peruse at your leisure. Max Merritt has a Steele catalog imbedded in their own. Steele does make the rubber parts you require. Do yourself a favor and purchase both a shop manual and a parts book. Both can be had for about $50.00 a piece and are a huge resource in aiding you to define a problem and locate a part.

Posted on: 2007/10/29 18:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
What subject did u teach at the colleges???

Posted on: 2007/10/29 21:48
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dr.Stuart Schaller, PhD
See User information
Thanks all. I have 3 PhDs (my escape from reality for many years). London School, Economics Cambridge, Mechanical Engineering Cambridge, Theoretical Physics. I taught Theoretical Physics at the post-graduate level for over 20 years. One of the 6 current grand-unified theories is mine, quantified by Hawking, as I am the conceptualist and he is the mathametician.

Owner's manual is an original which came with the car. Haven't had a chance to see what else is there, but there is a big box of Packard Club stuff.

Thanks for the tip on the rubber seals and proper tire size. As the tires on the car are almsot new, I will keep them as is for now. Sometime in the future, I might restore the car to as close to built as humanly possible, but I want a car I can DRIVE, not a show queen....

As to Batista "Pinin" Farina, he is a personal friend, as my "big thing" is Italian sports cars. Count Johnny Lurani, the race car journalist and 1920s-1950s race car driver, was a cousin on my mother's side of the family.

Again, thanks all...

Stu

Posted on: 2007/10/29 23:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Welcome Stu! It's nice to have a fellow '56 Patrician owner on board, as well as an actual physicist, I just study it as a hobby.

Posted on: 2007/10/30 1:18
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved