Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 152

39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1938 Packard Eight running board mats
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

FPTGearhead
See User information
I am a new member so sorry if this question has come up before. I need new running board mats (both sides) for my 1938 Packard Eight 4 door sedan, model 1601. Anyone know of replacements for this application that are correct in size and style. How about any good tricks on repairing the existing ones? Thanks.

Posted on: 2010/3/12 13:40
 Top  Print   

Re: 1938 Packard Eight running board mats
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
FPTGearhead wrote: I am a new member......I need new running board mats (both sides) for my 1938 Packard Eight 4 door sedan, model 1601. Anyone know of replacements for this application that are correct in size and style. How about any good tricks on repairing the existing ones? Thanks.
G'day FPTGearhead,
to PackardInfo.

Had a look at Steele Rubbers catalog but no '38 board mats! I have the same problem with my '41 120, no one makes replacement mats, so after removing all the old rubber I'm having mine sprayed with Rhino pickup bed lining. Only trouble is there is a lot, a whole lot, of hand finishing required to rub it back after the spraying.

There is one source of replacement mats but you have to send your boards away to be recoated, a mate of mine has done this twice and is very happy with the results for his '39 120 and a '41 160. Hunley Acuff Runningboards, I believe he has a web site, or you can call (706-866-4875). But be prepared to pay accordingly, it is not cheap at all. That's why I'm going the Rhino route.

And a request, could you please include your '38 Eight Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry here, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2010/3/12 15:28
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Here's a few pic's of a '41 Bohman & Schwartz Limo which has had the boards Rhino coated then rubbed back, looks good. If mine turn out similarly I'll be pleased.

And here's a link to the AACA Packard Forum, Running boards

Attach file:

jpg  (37.49 KB)
226_4b9aa8f339cbc.jpg 800X533 px

jpg  (30.96 KB)
226_4b9aa901c0ad0.jpg 800X533 px

jpg  (39.55 KB)
226_4b9aa90c54d09.jpg 800X533 px

jpg  (52.18 KB)
226_4b9aa919d7d08.jpg 800X533 px

Posted on: 2010/3/12 15:59
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

FPTGearhead
See User information
Thanks for the advice. I have heard of that vendor and will look further into using him. Have used Steele in the past. Still trying to locate anyone that has a pair of new mats in a box. Also I will register my car soon. I have most of the history for this car as it has been in the family for a long time. Thanks.

Posted on: 2010/3/12 21:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
You should also check outhttp://www.runningboardrubber.com/

Posted on: 2010/3/13 8:42
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

FPTGearhead
See User information
Thanks for that connection. Have already checked them out too. Not crazy about sending my whole running boards across the border into Canada and all. I know a lot of folks have done it successfully but... I really am still trying to find mats in a box on a shelf someplace. There's got to be some stock out there... Again thanks for the help.

Posted on: 2010/3/13 13:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
have you asked Steele if they used to make them? For example, they don't list the 41 mats but used to. IMO, if your mat design follows the metal shape, the spray polyurethane can work really well. If the mat pattern is raised and attached to a plain steel, you need the extruded and caps.

Posted on: 2010/3/13 15:48
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

tabletennissport
See User information
After a huge amount of research, was unable to buy the mats for both my '39 120 and '41 160. Believe me, they are unobtanium unless you are prepared to cut and butt them. I've seen such jobs and they look look awful.
In the end had both cars done by Hunley Acuff and the results are gorgeous. Not cheap but the best solution by far.

Posted on: 2010/3/13 16:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Perhaps it would be helpful to distinguish between those running boards that had true "mats" glued to the metal base, and those that had a rubber composition vulcanized or otherwise bonded directly to the steel. The latter were never intended to be recovered with mats, the former were.

Posted on: 2010/3/13 17:05
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

FPTGearhead
See User information
After a closer look at my car, I think the rubber material is glued, bonded, or just adhered to the metal of the unit. After years of sun and heat it is hard to tell if they we designed to detach from the metallic structure or were permanently manufactured to it. I was under the assumption that I can somehow remove the rubber-like material and recover it with new replacement. This is how my other old car, 1940 Chevy, was done. I guess some of the after market vendors would use my old ones to create a pattern for the mold and then recoat my stripped metal boards. Sounds labor intensive and expensive. If that is the case, what is the story with the other Steele Rubber mats that are available for the 1938 Super 8 and V-12? Are they designed to recover the metal or be glued/bonded or what? I will continue my search but am I looking for the full running board metal with rubber top pad or just the mats? I am contacting Steele and find out what's up with that and take the other Packard owner's advice and ask if they used to make the mat or possibly can make it as they still may have the molds.
Thanks for all the help.

Posted on: 2010/3/14 14:49
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved