Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 211

SteveP516, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

28 rear question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ray17015
See User information
Jumping the gun, I attempted to turn the engine of my 28 (60 years garaged). I soaked the piston tops in penatrating oil for a week, put the tranny in high gear, and turned the rear wheels. They both turned, convinced that I had turned the engine, I went on to other projects. I then had the unnerving feeling, that this was just too easy. I did the "test" again, and found that when in neutral, the drive shaft spins, in gear, the wheels spin, but the drive shaft does not. When in neutral, I can stop the drive shaft manually. It feels smooth, like this is intentional. As soon as I release the shaft, it resumes spinning with the wheel. I opened the dif, and found no obvious bits in the bottom, although bone dry.I am completely confused by this. If the rear was broken, either neutral would not act this way, or certainly not be so smooth? At this point, I have given up on turning the motor, as it would likely just do further damage, I will get back to it later, as I am doing a complete frame off job, but I just don't understand what is happening

Posted on: 2010/3/16 19:22
 Top  Print   

Re: 28 rear question
Home away from home
Home away from home

JT120
See User information
Exactly how are you turning the rear wheels? It sounds like you have the rear wheels off the ground.

Posted on: 2010/3/16 19:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ray17015
See User information
jack stands under axle

Posted on: 2010/3/16 20:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sounds like your differential is doing exactly what it's supposed to do.

Posted on: 2010/3/16 20:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ray17015
See User information
that's what it "feels' like, but if the drive shaft doesn't turn, but the wheels do, wouldn't the inverse also be true, and, well, bad?

Is there a clutch in the dif?

Posted on: 2010/3/16 20:38
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I bet both wheels turn in opposite directions!

Put the car on the ground and rock on the car back and forth. I bet you will then see the shaft move.

Posted on: 2010/3/16 20:50
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

johnoder
See User information
Ray - inside the rear axe housing is the ring gear and its pinion on the end of the drive shaft. The ring gear is mounted on a case that contains "spider gears" which are interposed between mating bevel "Axle gears" on the inner ends of each axle.

When you have the wheels off the ground and the drive shaft stationary, it is NORMAL to be able to turn one wheel freely while the other wheel just as freely turns the other way.

The reason for this is in turning one axle gear in a case that cannot move due to stationary drive shaft, the one turning axle gear turns the spider gears which rotate the OTHER axle gear in the opposite direction.

Purely normal in an "open" (not limited slip) differential.

John Oder

Posted on: 2010/3/17 5:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ray17015
See User information
quite humbling, but thanks all!!

Ray,

Posted on: 2010/3/17 18:05
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Ray, no worries, I asked the exact same question about a year ago before I understood exactly how the differential worked. We are all here to learn new things!

Posted on: 2010/3/17 19:16
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved