Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 113

Flybiker18, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Door springs open to suggestion.
Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
Hi all,

I hope you are all keeping well, my lack of posts is more of a testament to the reliabiltiy of my Packard than to any lazeness on my part and yes, I know its Paddies Day but no, I'm not pissed!

I need door lock springs, called Max Merritt but they say they have none. Seems like they are too expensive to make!

So the question is where do I go now, I urgently need 2, they seem to snap at any opportunity, dont want to lose any passengers....

Pat.
Galway.
Rep. of Ireland..now declared snake free.

Attach file:

jpg  (44.95 KB)
1195_4ba153c119554.jpg 626X480 px

Posted on: 2010/3/17 17:12
 Top  Print   

Re: Door springs open to suggestion.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Good to hear from you again! Doesn't do you much good in Ireland, but there is no need here to have those springs reproduced here, they're quite common at flea markets where some vendors seem to have assortments of dozens, even hundreds of this type of door latch spring. I'll be attending a flea market in May and another in August, I'll try to pick up a couple but expect it may not be soon enough for you. They are usually about $3 each.

The 1934 locks, Eight, Super Eight & Twelve, are made by English & Mersick and here's a picture of the spring from my 1934 Eight. I finally had my first one break last year though as I speak to other Packard owners their breakage is uncommon, fatique more common.

You could consider just forwarding the enclosed image to Restoration Specialties.

Edited 3/18.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.10 KB)
177_4ba15796ebbcd.jpg 650X781 px

Posted on: 2010/3/17 17:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Restoration specialties of Winber PA (814-467-9842, 814-467-9282) has a blue million of those, that's the good news. The bad news is that you can't call them up and say "Do you have a door handle spring for a 1934 Packard"? they have lots and lots of them, no idea at all what they fit. Take yours apart, clean it up pretty good then put it in a copy machine with a ruler, like Owen Dyneto did here, take a dial caliper or micrometer and measure the width of the spring and the thickness (section) and write that on the photocopy of the spring, and fax it (814-467-5323) to restoration specialties, they have hundreds of what you need, and they are cheap.
These are essential for cars of that era, they all get a bad case of the droopy door handles, get these new springs from restoration specialties and they will be snappy, like new.

DO NOT CALL THEM AND ASK FOR THEM BY MAKE/MODEL/YEAR.

http://www.restorationspecialties.com/

Posted on: 2010/3/17 18:45
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

duh
See User information
Hmm. Was starring at daves pic and was thinking a guy could take some small gauge cold rolled steel, some needlenose pliers, and a pencil torch and make a few in a couple minutes yeah?

Posted on: 2010/3/17 23:27
If it wasn't for those meddling kids, and their dog too...

1952 200 deluxe touring- its a goer...but not a stopper. Just ask my neighbour about her flower bed.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
Thank you all for your replies.

I will attempt to fax the details/photo of the spring to the resto company but at this distance its usually not easy to deal with these companies.

If you could pick up some springs at a fle market I would be most greatfull, obviously I will pay postage etc....

Making one would most likly result in a trip to Accident and Emergency!

I do have an old intact spring somewhere that has lost its 'springiness', is it possible to temper it in some way to 're-energizie' it?

Pat.

Posted on: 2010/3/18 5:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Pat, Once you get past the payment details (they are set up to accept the usual charge cards) for an overseas customer, the guys at Restoration Specialties are easy to deal with, they got me the exact springs I needed in a short period of time (less than one week), they were identical to the tired ones I removed and restored the function of the door latch assembly perfectly.
I would really think twice before re-inventing the wheel when such an inexpensive and simple solution is there to get you exactly what you need.

Posted on: 2010/3/18 8:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
Hi,

I contacted Resto Services, very helpfull indeed. I will be emailing them an image of the spring.

In the meantime......would anyone have one sitting in a toolbox somewhere, am out every week on duty and really need one pronto!

Pat.

Posted on: 2010/3/19 4:07
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved