Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 219

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1929 645 Brake & Clutch Question
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Paul_K
See User information
Hello, I am new to this forum. We own a 1929 Packard Custom eight 7 pas touring car. I am having issues with the front brakes and clutch (high peddle) and I feel it is just a matter of adjustments for both. Can someone give me the heads up on the correct way to do this? Thank you very much in advance.

Paul Kennedy

Attach file:

jpg  (86.44 KB)
2418_4ba3b32e41f9e.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/3/19 12:24
IF YOU DO NOT HAVE FLAMES COMING OUT OF THE STACK< YOU ARE NOT RUNNING TO YOUR FULL POTENTIAL.
 Top  Print   

Re: 1929 645 Brake & Clutch Question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Can you elaborate a bit on the brake problem? I believe you have the 3-shoe Bendix mechanicals which are very competent brakes but perhaps you need to go thru the adjustment procedure - it's a bit tedious but very worthwhile. I believe I have a copy and if no one else beats me to it, I'll ammend this post and add it when I find it.

As to the clutch - you didn't say if you have any free play in the pedal. The pedal must have some, typically about 1 inch, of free travel from the upper position before you begin to feel the resistance of the pressure plate springs. In the absence of free play, the pedal can top out on the toe board before the pressure plate is fully engaged, the result would be a high pedal and eventually, clutch slip and a burned clutch. Why not check that first and let us know, and we can go from there. Free play is typically adjusted with some sort of turnbuckle device on the linkage. The 640/645 have a double-disc clutch, perhaps someone else who is more familiar with that can chime in with details.

BTW, that's one fine-looking Packard, Paul.

Posted on: 2010/3/19 13:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Paul_K wrote: Hello, I am new to this forum. We own a 1929 Packard Custom eight 7 pas touring car......Paul Kennedy
G'day Paul,
to PackardInfo and to echo Dave, a nice looking Packard. Unfortunately can't add anything to help address your query.

But......could you please include your '29 Packard in the Packard Owner's Registry here, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2010/3/19 14:58
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jim Eubanks
See User information
Hello Paul,
There are two adjustments that can be made to individual whells, first is to adjust the cable by loosening the lock nut and adjusting. If brakes are really worn then shoe alignment is necessary. There are two brake shoe supporting nuts on the backing plates that are backed off, the brake pedal is pushed hard several times to seat the brake shoes and kept pressed moderately while those nuts are tightened back up. I would highly recommed you obtain a repop copy of the owners manual and repair manual both of which have good detail on your brakes.

Posted on: 2010/3/19 20:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jimw
See User information
Paul:

There is a Bendix brochure on how to adjust the brakes. I don't see it under the literature and manuals section, so will scan it and send it in for posting.

Jim Wayman
'29 640 Phaeton

Posted on: 2010/3/19 21:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jimw
See User information
Paul:

I have scanned two items on adjusting the Bendix brakes and sent them in for posting. One is Bendix Service Bulletin #204 dated December 1, 1929. The other is an old magazine article. Hope they help.

Jim Wayman

Posted on: 2010/3/19 21:25
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Paul_K
See User information
I want to thank all who responded to my post. I do have many Packard service manuals here at the house. However I was in a bit of a rush (or too lazy)to pull the manuals and go through them all. We have had the car since my father in law passed away in 2004. My wife is the owner and only now getting over her father's death and is only now allowing her self to enjoy her car. On the rare occasions we took it out over the years, she wouldn't drive it.

I have been giving her lessons on it and the old girl (the Packard that is) has been out more this week then in the last six years!. There are some issues that have cropped up due to lack of use. I tried to explain to my wife that it is important to get these cars out and about once a month or so. The brake issue popped up on a real heavy stop I had to make and the Packard pulled real hard left, surprising everyone including me. The trans is a real pain the the butt to sift, and always has been. I double clutch just like I did on big rigs or don't use the clutch at all. Dick (my late father in law) said it had something to do with the newer oils put into the transmission when he had it. I haven't thought about trying the load bearing type oil (Mobil Gear 600)instead of the 90 wt that's in it now. Also the clutch is very high on the engagement. There is about a half inch free play before pressure is felt on the peddle. There is also a stiff spot in the steering but I assume it is from sitting and I will adjust the gear box after I check the rest of the steering linkage today. I want my wife to be able to drive her Packard in a safe condition and not need me to go along if she so chooses to "take the girls out".

I also need to find the right grease gun fittings. It was lubed just before Dick passed away but has less then 1,000 miles of use, so greasing the fittings hasn't been an issue.

Posted on: 2010/3/20 10:01
IF YOU DO NOT HAVE FLAMES COMING OUT OF THE STACK< YOU ARE NOT RUNNING TO YOUR FULL POTENTIAL.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The late Bob Aller gave a suggestion about adjusting mechanical brakes on Packards at the last Salado Meet he attended in 2008. He recommended disconnecting the front brakes, adjust the rears, and then reconnect the fronts and adjust them. He said this procedure would allow the rear brakes to engage just before the fronts giving a more stable and controlled stop. Maybe someone with experience with these mechanical brake systems can affirm or deny this.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/3/20 11:15
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Paul - glad to hear more about the car - sounds wonderful! SAE90 gear oil is much too thin for the crashbox trans, not enough viscosity to suppress the gear spin. I'd use just what Packard recommended for years, plain old GL-1 (no additives, straight mineral oil) SAE140 or 160. Both are quite readily available though usually only in 5 gallon cans. Between the trans and steering gear box, you'll probably use at least a gallon for 1 change.

If your grease fittings are the old fashioned "pin alemite" with the cross pin, MSC in Harrisburg still sells an adapter to fit those fittings and allow greasing with a modern hydraulic alemite gun. That way you can keep the authenticity and still so easy grease jobs. If you need a picture of the adapter or the part number to buy it, just let me know.

Dave

EDIT - Paul, don't know if this is what you need, but it's still manufactured by Alemite for the older pin-type Alemite fittings. The threaded end swivels and attaches to the flex hose on your grease gun. The corkscrew end engages the pins on the fittings (which are also still available new) and in 1/4 turn it tightens down, depresses the ball check valve in the grease fitting, and grease away.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.05 KB)
177_4ba54f5bdcfc3.jpg 492X800 px

Posted on: 2010/3/20 14:20
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Paul,

Thanks to Jim Wayman, you will find the Brake Adjustment service information here:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?427

Also welcome to website, I'm just down the road in Riverside.

Posted on: 2010/3/20 21:07
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved