Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
86 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 84

JW49, BryanGMeadows, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: water pump woes
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Tobs,

That gasket template is already here on the website:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=98

It's refereed to as a Water Neck Outlet gasket.

Posted on: 2010/3/24 14:33
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Guys, I've lost track here of just what the Never-Sieze was going to be used for, but if it was for the waterpump to block bolts, not the best idea. As those bolts go thru into the waterjacket, you need a sealant, not a lubricant. I use plain old gasket shellac. Never-Seize (whatever brand), is great stuff, I use it routinely on exhaust manifolt and exhaust clamp bolts, but not as a thread sealant. If you were talking about a different application, just ignore this.

Posted on: 2010/3/24 14:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
We were talking about the bolts that attach the pump to the block. I am pretty certain that the ends of these holes in the block are not open to the water jacket. I'll check real close next time I am at the car.
Perhaps it is so on the older cars? dunno.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 11:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, for the record please do let us know, my recollection is pretty firm that one or more pass thru into the water jacket, that based on the 22nd/23rd series engines.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 12:48
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If I remember right when doing my dump there is only one bolt that comes in contact with coolant, and that is through the pump itself. It should have a copper washer on it. The rest (being of different lengths) bolt into the "meat" of the block.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 17:34
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
There are 2 bolts that can contact coolant in the water jacket. The one on the upper left when looking at the pump from the front and the middle lower one.
There is a machined recess in the pump body at both of these locations.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 18:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks BDeB, you confirmed what I had remembered and posted much ealier in this thread, that the bolts for the flat recesses in the pump casting use the flat copper washer as an external water seal. But to stop the shank of the bolt from rusting I'd still use a thread sealant as well as the copper washer.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 18:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Why thank you Gusha, how gracious of you. I only hope I get enough "rights" to make up for my "wrongs".

Posted on: 2010/3/25 18:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Ahh, got everything back together on sunday, and started the car for the first time this season. AND, no leaks!
Thanks to all your advice, I used ceramic paste on two of the water pump bolts that go into the block and don't end in the water jacket (Upper right and lower left) Thread sealant on the other two which do end into the water jacket. New bolts all around. I was able to run a few gallons of water in through the head and out the block before re-assembling, so I cleaned out some of the gunk. Last weekend I cleaned out about 1/2 inch of crud from the back of the coolant distribution tube, bad, but not terrible. I may take off the lower radiator hose and back flush when I can get to a garden hose. (Next month I getting a parking spot in the garage under my building, so working on the car will be easier)
New hoses, new fan belt too... Now everything else looks old Well, all in due time.
Looking forward to spring!

Attach file:

jpg  (94.38 KB)
657_4bb0ef2cbbdc1.jpg 778X584 px

Posted on: 2010/3/29 13:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Nice job! And doesn't it feel good to know it's done. Time to move on to whatever is next.

Posted on: 2010/3/29 15:33
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved