Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 131

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Install power steering
Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
I'm getting to old to fight the manual steering in my Clipper. I am thinking of buying a parts car that became available with power steering and dealer air. (Air in the trunk) What would be involved in switching the Power Steering? Would I have to swap out the steeing gear box? I noticed it is a different part number but it is it really necessary? It doesn't look too difficult. My Clipper already has the double crankcase pulley as I swapped out the engine several years ago with a 56 Patrician.

Posted on: 2010/3/27 10:06
 Top  Print 

Re: Install power steering
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It may not be absolutely necessary but I would because of the differences in feel and control. As you see from the spec sheet, taken all together there is a different ratio so the old box coupled with new leverage may be too slow and not provide the response without a lot of action at the steering wheel.

EDIT: If you do decide to leave in place, the very first component I would try to swap is the Pitman arm. Obviously, if the spline or shaft out of the gearbox is the least bit different, that would make the decision. It is possible there is a locating spline in a different position to prevent an accidental install of a wrong component.

Attach file:

jpg  (11.01 KB)
209_4bae218c87d17.jpg 387X222 px

Posted on: 2010/3/27 10:17
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I don't want to seem as though I'm picking on you, but if that steering is too much to turn, then I think there must be something wrong. I drove a 52 Mayfair for years w/out PS and it could be steered with one finger. As long as the car was moving, and by that I mean just drifting, the car could be steered with one finger. Just imagine the strain on tires, wheels, tierod ends etc. when cranking the steering wheel while sitting still. Perhaps some front end checking and maintenance is in order. Just my advice and it is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Posted on: 2010/3/27 13:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
If you do decide to go with PS, the pitman arm will fit onto your box with no problem. But I tend to agree, if the front end is right and the tires are good and well inflated (just say no to old letter series tires) the the steering should not be hateful at all.

Posted on: 2010/3/27 19:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
I've read that Packards tend to steer very lightly for big, heavy cars with manual steering. Everything I've seen on this was talking about pre-immediate postwar cars.

Applies to Packard V-8s too, does it?....

Posted on: 2010/3/27 21:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
The car is not hard to steer when rolling. It is when it is standing still and I am trying to park it. I have radial tires on the car and the front suspension was rebuilt several years ago. It is well greased. The old muscles are just not what they once were.

Posted on: 2010/3/27 21:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
The car is not hard to steer when rolling. It is when it is standing still and I am trying to park it. I have radial tires on the car and the front suspension was rebuilt several years ago. It is well greased. The old muscles are just not what they once were.

Since you have a parts car with all the requisite pieces, just DO IT! Besides possibly rebuilding the pump and ram from the parts car, I don't see any issues. The power assist will NEVER be as strong (single finger movement) as on a Chrysler product of the same era, regardless of the ratio of the box.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/3/27 22:27
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
When I put power steering in my Patrician I did not have to change out the box. I put the pump on and connected the hoses and drove away.

Posted on: 2010/3/28 14:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
I assume your Parician was not a 55 or 56 as power steering was standard. Did you have to install the ram or connect the tie rods? The ram mounting is what bothers me. Are the holes already in the frame to accept it?

Posted on: 2010/3/29 12:22
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved