Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 139

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

tl suspension
Just popping in
Just popping in

john phillips
See User information
so I just bought my first packard, 1956 clipper, this hole tl suspension is prity sweet but when i bought the car the switch to control it is just a toggle switch in the bottom of the dash, is this the stock switch? and can i bypass the limit switch so i can just control the motor to rase and lower it at will or is that a bad idea? i want the hole car lower but i want to be able to lift the rear or give it alittle reverse rake, any help is good help and sorry it it's a total noob qustion,

P.S. i love this car!

Posted on: 2010/4/1 0:47
 Top  Print   

Re: tl suspension
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Welcome Johnny5 to the best d#$n Packard forum going. Glad you bought a Clipper. The toggle switch under the dash just turns the TL system on or off. You need to turn it off when jacking it up to change a tire or lifting it on a grease rack for a lube job, or just to keep the neighborhood kids from playing with it.
Packard did make a switch and wiring harness to manually raise or lower the car. Do NOT raise or lower it by engaging the solenoids - you can damage the TL system severely $$$$$$$$
One of the regular vendors should have the switch and probably the wiring harness. You can make the wiring harness yourself if all you can buy is the switch. I have the switch installed in both my Packards and it is a crowd pleaser at the cruises. My friend Mal will be along shortly to ask a favor of you. He's a good fellow and I'm sure you will be glad to oblige.
Take a look at FAQ's just above the Main Menu. It may answer some of your questions. Other folks will be along to welcome you to the site also. We're a friendly bunch and enjoy our Packards - hope you will too.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 2:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Welcome welcome, and enjoy your 56 Clipper. I have the same car and like it very much.

The physics of the Torsion Level suspension are such that if you lower it very much or run the car with a forward rake the front suspension will be bottoming over every bump and you will be hating life and buying parts. The front and rear suspensions are hooked together by the long torsion bars. You can lower the whole car by installing shorter "pins" in the front suspension. These are little support struts that you can see right next to your front shocks. They connect the lower control arm to the torsion bar arm. They come in different lengths and are marked by the number of grooves that are cut in them.

How many grooves are in your front pins? They might not be the same left and right. Anyway, you can install shorter pins to bring the whole car down, and then use the leveler to get the rake that you want. I really don't recommend driving the car except on smooth roads with it raked.

Of course, you could just install some 60 series tires which will bring the car down and not give you fender rub problems. Ross

Posted on: 2010/4/1 6:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
johnny5 wrote: so I just bought my first packard, 1956 clipper......
Quote:
randy berger wrote:.....My friend Mal will be along shortly to ask a favor of you. He's a good fellow and I'm sure you will be glad to oblige......
G'day johnny5,
Like to add my welcome to those already made, so to PackardInfo. And I'm the Mal that Randy warned told you about earlier. My favour, as Randy phrased it, is to request you to please include your '56 Clipper in the Packard Owner's Registry, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2010/4/1 6:37
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Welcome also. As Randy said, the manual switch is available and would be the proper way to go. It is a 3 position switch that mounts next to the toggle switch which stays in the position it is placed & has a configuration that breaks the feed to the leveler switch at anything other than middle or normal operation position. It is designed so the leveler will operate until the limit switch is reached at which point things will (hopefully) stop. You can manually stop at any position by just returning the switch to midpoint but then the leveler will take over again unless turned off.

A regular spring loaded switch can be substituted (be sure it is heavy duty) since the direction command is just a ground to the solenoid coil wires but the feature of automatic disconnect of the leveler switch feed while manual is in operation won't be there without some extra work and components. You would have to be absolutely sure to turn off the manual toggle switch first--otherwise the two switches will both be active and could get interesting as they fight for control.

A schematic of the torsion electrics showing the manual switch is here:https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/wirediagrams/55-56%20TL%20Schem.pdf 56 with the over ride is the bottom schematic. Whichever route you go, make absolutely sure any operation is commanded so it passes through the limit switches. As Randy also said, bypassing the limit switches is $ only double the amount of dollar signs he used to add for inflation and aggravation.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 9:03
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Randy you should post that picture of what happens when the limit switch is bypassed!

Posted on: 2010/4/1 12:12
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

john phillips
See User information
thanks for all the info, i just got the clippers special home night before last,so i will get pics and info soon, but who sells that switch and wireing harness? and how can i get it fast?

and for the books this forum is the nicest/most info without the so called badass people who know every thing,it's so nice to ask a question and get a good responce instead of a bunch of smart asses thanks for all the help

Posted on: 2010/4/1 23:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Johnny5 wrote: "and for the books this forum is the nicest/most info without the so called badass people who know every thing,it's so nice to ask a question and get a good responce instead of a bunch of smart asses"

Hi johnny5, Welcome to Packard info. I am very glad to read about your good experience here. At times we can be a bit opinionated, but for the most part we are a very tolerant bunch. A Packard saved is a Packard not crushed and transformed into a toaster.

I hope to see more posts and updates on your new acquisition.

Jim

Posted on: 2010/4/1 23:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Max Merritt is one who has the switch and here is a picture from his website.http://www.maxmerrittauto.com/ He may have the harness as well and it does come up from time to time on ebay. It is not too complicated and would be easy to make following the schematic and illustration from service counselor Vol 30#7.https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL30NO7.pdf. The bullet style terminals are available at any good parts store--although there are different sizes. I believe the one needed is the larger Ford type but has been awhile so you might need to verify the diameter.

Kanterhttp://www.kanter.com/ may also have the switch but I find his site much harder in looking for things so would almost have to call.

Tuscon Packardshttp://www.packardpartsonline.com/index.html and Patrician Industrieshttp://stores.ebay.com/packards1 (packards1@aol.com) might also be able to help.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.73 KB)
209_4bb5f2b80152b.jpg 1054X165 px

jpg  (53.37 KB)
209_4bb5f2c4773a6.jpg 575X743 px

Posted on: 2010/4/2 8:36
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved