Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
168 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 166

dallas, Soybeanfarmer1 , more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: Which is the drive wheel?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
OK...car is now moved! Had to use a come along and it took FOREVER!! Kinking up the chain in the winch didn't help either. 1/2 way across the driveway, I started her up and gave her a chance to help. Idle lowered a little in H and I swear it wanted to move but no dice. I see a lot of trans fluid on the ground after running it so it must be pretty full. The car is not sitting where I want it, but I should be able to get it on jack stands now.

I've decided to start a "restoration" blog to keep me motivated and have a convenient place to ask all of my novice questions. Wish me luck. Thanks to all who have helped so far. I'm going to need a lot more though!

One last question...I know the passenger rear wheel is locked. The car moved in reverse. Could the H actually be working, but unable to move the car because of the locked wheel and it not having torque to spin the other in the dirt or am I just having wishful thinking? My theory being that the reverse part of the trans uses a band (more of a direct connection and transferring more power) compared to H. Could I be on to something or am I way off???

Attach file:

jpg  (208.52 KB)
508_4c609fd967831.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (177.35 KB)
508_4c609ff65795a.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (253.60 KB)
508_4c60a0169b7bb.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (166.13 KB)
508_4c60a2f0bd8e6.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/8/9 19:41
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Could be a combination of things 1) engine has no power 2) torque converter is slipping like it is supposed to 3) wheels locked up, tires half flat and sunk in the ground means you need a LOT of power to get moving and the car just isn't man enough anymore.

If the car moves backwards I can't see how the rear brakes can be locked up. Reverse is the lowest gear ratio in any transmission. Maybe it has enough guts left to move itself in reverse but not in any higher gear.

Could also be the transmission is blown. If it had a proper rebuild it should be OK but who knows what that last grease monkey did to it.

But, if the tranny was rebuilt and has no miles on it, it shouldn't take much to fix it. Famous last words lol.

If you can get it inside and work on it, get the engine running decent, check the brakes, blow up the tires, maybe the trans is OK.

Posted on: 2010/8/9 20:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Thanks Rusty.

I know for sure the passenger rear wheel is stuck. I noted where the valve stem was and it never moved after going backward with the car or pulling with the come along. The only reason the car moved was because the tire dragged through the dirt, causing a big rut.

The car has very few miles on the "rebuilt" trans. The guy who installed it may not have adjusted things properly. I don't think (hope) the bands were not adjusted properly, thus causing the plates that go on the L band to fall off and prevent it from working. That's what happened before anyway. That's why I'm hoping it is an easy fix or that H is actually working. When I got the car back from the trans guy after he installed the "rebuilt" one, he said the trans didn't work and the car wasn't shifting. This was true when I drove it home, but the reason was the car was running so bad that it stalled several times. Replaced the spark plugs and fuel filter and it drove/shifted fine. Of course that was like 14-15 years ago, but I don't think I put more than 100 total miles on the transmission.

Assuming it was a proper rebuild, it should be something simple like the sticking valve suggestion. Maybe having the oil trans fluid in there gummed it up. Maybe the filter is getting clogged?

Somehow I have to get that wheel free though. Hitting it didn't help. Once I have it jacked up, I'll try loosening the adjusting star wheel and see what that does.

Posted on: 2010/8/9 21:12
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Thank you Ross!!! My wheel is now free. I will continue this in my restoration blog.

Posted on: 2010/8/10 17:59
[url=h
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved