Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 207

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Vehicle serial number locations
Just popping in
Just popping in

RayShort
See User information
Does the vehicle number on a 1936 120B convertable coupe appear in another location on the car other than the serial number plate that was mounted to the firewall of the car? I have puchased a car that is missing the firewall plate and my DMV wants me to prove that my car is actually the vehicle that is listed on the vehicle title. My car is a resto-mod so the engine, transmission and rearend are not original. Thanks for your help. RayShort

Posted on: 2010/4/9 14:03
 Top  Print   

Re: Vehicle serial number locations
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I believe that once the patent plate (vehicle # plate) is removed, there is no way other than through old documentation if available, to recover your #. There is the extremely slim chance, about 1 in 100,000 that I might have a record of it if you will provide the thief-proof #, the large embossed # on the engine side of the firewall.

Gee, it seems like 25% of the Packards that are surfacing these days are missing the patent plates, what is happening to them all? I know there are some folks that strip them and sell them on eBay, and I understand that once in a while one might get lost in the process of a restoration, but that hardly seems to be enough to account for the numbers that are missing. What a shame, you loose any chance to connect with the car's past.

Some folks have speculated that in a few years the # also appeared on the frame, but I've never seen one nor had it confirmed, either in person or by any Packard documentation.

Posted on: 2010/4/9 14:11
 Top  Print   

Re: Vehicle serial numbers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Was there ever a common policy of removing number plates when a car was scrapped. I remember in high school (late 50's, New Mexico) a buddy wanted to get an old car from a junkyard-- had money, found a cheap car he wanted but when we looked and talked about it, yard said they couldn't sell that one and pick another. Of course all the others were "not cool" or out of his price range.

That yard had two sections-- cars that could be sold and was sort of like a used lot with mostly junkers and then those in the section where we found the car and which supposedly couldn't sell because they were no longer sellable. Forget the term but basically, all ID and papers had been removed and surrendered to motor vehicles so car was now only good for parts and scrap.

We always thought parents had found out his plans and told yard not to sell but after all the cars with missing plates seem to come up am wondering if there was such a policy.

Posted on: 2010/4/9 14:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Get a set of metal punches and stamp the number on the frame rail yourself.

Posted on: 2010/4/9 15:14
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Or order a reproduction Patent Plate from PI, punch it with the original numbers from your CA title, and reinstall it.

Posted on: 2010/4/9 15:34
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Ray,
to PackardInfo. Wish you well with your request, Kev's suggestion appears to have a lot of merit and is a realworld "fix" for your problem.

But a request of you, could you please include your '36 120B Convertible Coupe in the Packard Owner's Registry here, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

And Kev, could you merge the other thread in the V8 Forum into this one?

Posted on: 2010/4/9 16:10
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

RayShort
See User information
Hi, Thanks for the quick reply. The body ID number that is stamped into the firewall is # 243986. Thanks for you help.

Regards, Ray...

Posted on: 2010/4/9 16:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Vehicle id tags are usualy removed when they do not match the title that was acquired with the car or in cases where a title was acquired AFTER the car was made road worthy or other such situations. Engine number was used for title.

There are also instances where the id tag Matches some modern vehicle. Case in point, i had a 1945 Jeep MB with a serial number that matched a currently registered 82 Arrow motor home.

Other situations involve vehicles from staes that never had titles. Some states as late as the 1960's did not issue titles. IIRC New York, Alabama, and a few others.

Also especialy during the war years and prior many of the big cars were butchered up into wreckers or other utility type vehicles. If the body was changed back at one time then the id tag removed from donor body to eleminate title contridiction.

Any number of various situations could explain a missing ID tag.

Posted on: 2010/4/9 16:28
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Duplicate Topics Merged. Thx.

Posted on: 2010/4/9 17:13
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sorry Ray, I have no data on #243986. It was a long shot at best.

Posted on: 2010/4/9 17:36
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved