Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
41 user(s) are online (28 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 40

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Re: Oil filter decal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hi Dave: I'm often reluctant to point out small incorrect details like that because some folks take offense or just don't care, so it really pleases me as well that you went thru the efforts to fit the correct filter. Looks better too, doesn't it? That's a good-looking engine compartment!

Posted on: 2010/7/8 7:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Looks great and... it no longer blocks the air flow to the crankcase.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 8:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Quote:

JD in KC wrote:
Looks great and... it no longer blocks the air flow to the crankcase.

That's a very good point. It seems airflow was important enough that there was a tube that the factory offered to direct air into the filler cap vent.

Dave, your engine bay looks very nice. Great work!

Jim

Posted on: 2010/7/8 10:58
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Schmick
See User information
I bask in the sunshine of the compliments! But that incorrect air filter decal is really beginning to eat at me.

Gee, can you tell I'm a purist?

Regarding that tube...I believe that was only designed for use on the 356 engine, was it not? It amazes me that it could have had that tangible of an effect (and that it wouldn't be equally usefull on the smaller engines).

Posted on: 2010/7/8 13:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As I understand it the cylinder head-mounted air tube was used in conjunction with an extended oil filler tube and only used on the 356 engine thru 1947 to enhance the crankcase breathing at idle speeds as the filter blocked the air flow to the breather with the shorter tube. I guess that by the 22nd series they just figured the tube itself was redundant.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 15:04
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved