Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
91 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 90

bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Oil filter decal
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
When I get home I will consult the PI engine judging guide. I know that engine color painted filler tube is correct for my '54. But it may differ on other years.

Posted on: 2010/4/13 15:52
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Kev, we'll be interested in what you find. Note that my comment pertained to the painted LINES to and from the filter, not the paint on the filler tube.

Posted on: 2010/4/13 16:31
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
From the PI Engine Judging Guide:

Oil Fill Pipe

1940-1956 (ALL) - Engine Color
1935-1939 Junior - Engine Color
1932-1939 Super Eights - Gloss Black
1932 - 1939 Twelves - Engine Green
Models 126 -> 533 - Gloss Black
Model with round pipes prior to 1932 (640, 645, 740, 745) - Aluminum Gloss

As far as the Oil Filter Sticker location goes:

1940-42 Oli Filter Lid
1946-1950 Oil Filter Mounting Band
1951-1954 Filter Case right below the lid

There is no mention in the judging guide of the color or finish of any of the oil, fuel or supplemental hard lines. But I believe you are correct in that all the engine hard lines should be unpainted/natural finish for post war.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2010/4/13 19:01
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
somewhere in my stash of parts I have 2 oil filter kits. One has the decal on the lid one is on the body. When I run across them I will post a picture. I doubt if the person at Fram or Purolater paid much attention where the decal was placed. They were building the cars for sale not for show

Posted on: 2010/4/13 20:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Rather odd, but in parting out many 48-54 I've noticed that the oil filter lines were also painted engine color. I took particular note of this on a 54 359 that was a relatively low mileage never been screwed with car. It seems that the engines were nearly fully assembled before they were hosed down with that incredibly thin layer of paint. On page 80 of "OK For Drive-away" there is a picture of a 51 engine on a test stand with grey overspray on the bottom of the starter. I have seen that there, and also around the flange of the fuel pump.

One more piece of minutae: Before the engine was painted, the area around the stamped engine # was given a swipe of white paint, probably with a brush. Then before the engine was painted, a piece of tape was placed over the number to keep the color off. So all these postwar cars should show their engine #s in white. You can see this in the above mentioned book, and in the shop manual.

Posted on: 2010/4/13 21:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ross, shall we conclude that mass-production doesn't necessarily mean mass-consistency?

I can confirm from a couple of very original cars,both 1954s, the white background to the engine number.

Posted on: 2010/4/13 21:09
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
For what it's worth all the lines on '54 were natural(ly rusty). Also there was no trace of paint on the brass fittings. I guess a look through the factory manuals and service letters would be helpful to determine this.

Posted on: 2010/4/13 21:16
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Since filters were an optional on some till the end, would think painted or not would also depend on when/where filter was installed. I can't recall anything ever standing out other than natural steel.

Posted on: 2010/4/13 21:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I don't want to hijack this thread, but since we are talking about authenticity, I still want to pursue the oil filler paint question. I am by no means an expert, but I think the judging guide might be wrong. My car has a black filler pipe. I have seen others on ebay, including this one that are also black. I am prepared to be proven wrong! LOL!

EDIT: Here is also pic of a 51 with gray on the filler tube.

EDIT: Here is another pic of what appears to be an original engine with a black filler tube. The plot thickens...

Attach file:

jpg  (21.63 KB)
508_4bc5b6c2a7e48.jpg 500X372 px

jpg  (81.02 KB)
508_4bc5bc34ef668.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (69.74 KB)
508_4bc5bf3508251.jpg 716X511 px

Posted on: 2010/4/14 7:36
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The photo of the engine on the test stand shows a grey fill tube, for what that's worth. I know back when I worked for Black & Decker small changes were made all the time in the name of production efficency, ie cost reduction. But I'm sticking with engine-color-painted tubes because---I've not seen a black one on any undiddled engine, and it makes more sense from a mass-production standpoint. Oh, and I just looked in the shop manual, page 5 in the engine section, figure 15--its grey.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 8:27
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved