Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 226

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Which Carburator on a 56 Clipper Deluxe?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Xavier Brulez
See User information
Hello guys,

Yesterday we were busy to make some fine tunings at the Clipper.
So we wanted to fine tune also the carburator, but when we checked out the 55-56 Service manual we found only the 4-barrel and a 2-barrel carburator. The '2' should be the one on a Clipper Deluxe but the version mentionned in the manual isn't the one on my car.
On my car there is a Carter Carburator ( I think it's a WCB (?) version, I have to re-check it ).
Should this be the genuine one on a 56 Clipper Deluxe or should it have been replaced once?

Does anyone has a technical info for this Carter carburator needed on a 56 Deluxe?

Thanks!

Xavier

Posted on: 2010/4/20 17:01
Resized Image PONTIAC FIREBIRD 3.1 V6 '91 + FIREBIRD Esprit 4.1 L6 '80 + CHEVROLET CAPRICE Wagon 5.0 V8 '87 [img]http://uniform.messageboard.nl/10060/images/smiles/fl
 Top  Print   

Re: Which Carburator on a 56 Clipper Deluxe?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There were some different carbs used for 56 and descriptions and instructions are in Service Counselor 29-10.https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL29NO10.pdf Maybe one of those might be what you have.

Posted on: 2010/4/20 17:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
My '56 Deluxe, which is a clone of your car (see thread "Our New Stripper Clipper" - the white roof was added later, it was originally identical to yours I believe, all Persian Aqua.) has the 2 bbl Carter WGD 2393-S. I have the jet specs if you need them.

Idle should be 450-500 rpm (Std trans, like mine) or 450 (Twin Ultra).

Posted on: 2010/4/21 9:30
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Xavier Brulez
See User information
Hi Randerson,

Thanks for the reply !

Yes, I like to collect the extra info about the carb; I don't know if you can email it or ad it here on the board, but it would be great to receive it.

My emailadress is xavier.brulez@skynet.be

Thanks!

Grtz,

Xavier

Posted on: 2010/4/21 16:49
Resized Image PONTIAC FIREBIRD 3.1 V6 '91 + FIREBIRD Esprit 4.1 L6 '80 + CHEVROLET CAPRICE Wagon 5.0 V8 '87 [img]http://uniform.messageboard.nl/10060/images/smiles/fl
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Xavier Brulez
See User information
@ HH56:

This is indeed the carb on my Deluxe: the WGD 2393S

Thanks for the info.
Didn't know it was on the board ( there is so much info over here... )

Anyway, it helps me wonderful !!

Thx!!

Xavier

Posted on: 2010/4/21 16:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Xavier - what specs on the carb do you need? I can post them here so the inforamtion is generally available. Also it is found in the service manual, I think all of that is right here on the website under Literature and Manuals.

Posted on: 2010/4/26 9:22
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Xavier Brulez
See User information
Hi Roger,

The carb isn't in the 55-56 Service manual, but on the link posted above the right one is specified, I have to take some time to read it.

The question we had about the carb is what's the reason for the two adjusting screws on both of the lower sides of the carb.

At the car inspection they read the CO ( carbonmonoxide ) exhaust and it was quite low ( good for the environment but it keeps the engine on hold ) so maybe I could deliver the engine a bit more power when we increase it some more...?

Important of coarse we won't adjust anything we don't know what it is... .

Grtz,

Xavier

Posted on: 2010/4/27 16:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Those screws, under the bowl of the carb and angled one to the right and one to the left are only for adjusting the idle mixture. If the car idles smoothly and passed its CO test you can leave them alone. Otherwise turn them a little bit at a time to achieve the best idle.

They won't do anything for mixture above idle speeds though. That mixture is determined by the metering rods. Those can be easily set with the carb on the car per the service bulletin you mentioned. If they are out of whack you can use up a lot of gasoline. My 56 Super--with the same engine and carb as yours-- does exactly double your mileage on the country roads around here. But I have almost no "stop and go" driving.

I forget, did you set your timing with the vacumn line to the distributor disconnected (no need to plug it) and the car set to SLOW idle? That can make a world of difference.

Posted on: 2010/4/27 22:03
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Xavier Brulez
See User information
Hey Ross,

These are indeed the screws I mean; thanks for the info about them.

The timing has been checked with the vacuum line connected and at idling speed.
When touched the throttle the timing value was changing, causing to the vacuum control I suppose?

With the best setting we could make, the engine was running smoothly without getting shaking or wobbling. When the timing value became a bit higher or lower than the choosen value the engine became lazy or began to wobble.

One remark: the consumption was also this high before we made adjustments.

Maybe it will take a lot of miles to loosen the engine again, it has been sleeping during 17 years... .

Grtz,

Xavier

Posted on: 2010/4/28 16:48
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved