Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
89 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 88

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: What's the difference?
Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
It would have come with bias plies either way. Radials were rare to virtually unknown on US cars until the mid-late 60s, I recall my dad's 63 and 64 Fords and 67 Fury III came with Goodyear Custom Super Cushion bias ply tires. I think his 68 Country Squire was the first one with radials, and they were optional I think. BY the early mid 70s radials were becoming standard equipment. Even in the mid and late 60s Polyglas bias-belted (bias plies with an extra belt)tires were an intermediate step in tire evolution used more often than radials, particularly on muscle cars, and often with red-stripe "white"walls. Radials were found on European cars much earlier, particularly French cars with Michelins dating to the late 40s, and maybe earlier. I believe no US 50s car ever came from the factory with radial tires.

If you plan to drive the car much, particularly at highway speeds, go for radials. For just poking around town at 35-40mph on the way to shows, bias would probably be satisfactory. I drive a bit too enthusiastically to be happy with bias plies...too much squirm and squealing in the corners.

Posted on: 2010/4/27 8:22
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Re: What's the difference?
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
read quite a few comments about stopping distance improvements of radials,but I didn't hear any thing about the sidewall stiffness of the radials. My experience is that for cars that at times are subjected to hard cornering, is that the radials don't tend to tuck under like the bias tires do.

However, I also agree if your car is a show car and driven a limited amount at speed, radials do look best.

Posted on: 2010/4/28 18:07
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved