Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 103

Bob J, 37Blanche, JD in KC, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Wire Identification
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
There is a two wire lead coming off the main wiring harness on the firewall on a 1956 400. One wire is pink and goes to the coil and ballast resistor. I don't seem to be able to find out what the blue wire attaches to. The wiring diagrahm does not seem to show a blue wire. I think it is to the coil but am not sure. Also a friend came over to help me install new points and rotor and cap today. The bottom line is the car ran fine when we started the change and now won't start. We made sure all wires were in the proper firing order, the points were double checked at .016. We stopped for the evening but I would like to get it running tomorrow afternoon. I guess the old adage of don't mess with it if its running sure applies here. Any suggestions?

Attach file:

jpg  (90.23 KB)
6_4bd235f8812e0.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2010/4/23 18:57
 Top  Print   

Re: Wire Identification
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Mine has 3 wires coming off there. Grn for the temp sender, pink for the coil and blue for the oil sender. Any chance the flex lead to the outside dist terminal got shorted or opened.

Posted on: 2010/4/23 19:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Thanks, I absolutely believe it is to the oil sender. We were really reaching back there and am sure that is where the wire was originally attached. I'll check out your other suggestion. I am supposted to take the car to the Packard proving grounds on sunday for the big open house. Anyone have a good picture of the orientation of the distributer cap with the wires. I am sure we have it right but want to be sure.

Posted on: 2010/4/23 19:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
My 56

Attach file:

jpg  (59.08 KB)
209_4bd2414cbca1d.jpg 1000X634 px

Posted on: 2010/4/23 19:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Great, that is exactly what I needed. Thank you.

Posted on: 2010/4/23 19:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Under the cap there is a cloth covered wire that runs from the side terminal in the dist body to the points. If that wire is touching any metal part it will ground out and the car won't start.
If u replace the wire be sure to replace it with a very flexible wire. NOT a larger gauge wire. As the advance mechanism operates the wire must flex. Most i've see have the fabric covering on the wire nearly disintegrated.

Possibly the new points or condensor are bad from the factory too.

Use a test lite to test the flow of current thru the distributor parts as points open and close.

Posted on: 2010/4/23 21:23
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Thanks for the tips. I'll have some help going through everything.

Posted on: 2010/4/23 21:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
I could be available after about 1:00 tomorrow, you know how to reach me.

Posted on: 2010/4/23 22:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
John, I will be at the Packard tech session starting at 1000 and will be home after 1430. I'll give you a call.

Posted on: 2010/4/24 6:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
HH56. In the pic above of your distributor it appears that #5 and #7 plug wires are touching each other. That can cause a limp in the engine. Need to keep those seperated from each other as much as possible.

#5 boot is too close to #6 boot too.

Posted on: 2010/4/24 9:24
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved