Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Wire Identification
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The cables are above one another a little and also have the late model separators but unfortunately with the dual carbs, linkage, and AC there is not a lot of room to work with.

Posted on: 2010/4/24 9:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Mr. Pushbutton came over today and solved the car starting problems. The cotton covered wire that connects to the points needed replacing, there was some exposed copper wire grounding the unit out. Also we matched the wiring to the cap in the photo which on our car was one cylinder off. We removed the number one plug and we bumped the engine over until we were on that cylinder. Removing the cap showed the rotor was one cylinder off. We removed the wires from the cap one by one and moved them one position. The car started great and has been timed. Thanks to all for your quick help and suggestions. Especially our own Mr. Pushbutton.

PS. Mr. Pushbutton brought back to me a restored 1956 limit switch that he worked on. I recommend his work to all of you.

Posted on: 2010/4/24 20:49
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good news and glad it was simple.

Posted on: 2010/4/24 22:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Nice call there Keith!

Posted on: 2010/4/25 20:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'd like to know what kind of wire they used to replace the old cloth covered wire. I had a hard time finding any wire as flexible as the oem cloth covered wire. It's important to have a very flexible wire at that point so as not to interfere with the advance movement of the breaker plate AND not to break the wire internaly.

IIRC not enuf room to single coil the wire as an alternative to the very flexible oem wire..

Posted on: 2010/4/25 20:47
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As we were both on the same track, glad it worked out. I have seen several failures with the cotton falling off.

The ultrafine or ultraflex stranded wire is readily available although as you mentioned, with PVC type jacket. It might be flexible enough as is but 1/8 Braided sleeving is also available and in small quantities too. Apparently not the original cotton--all seem to be made of a polyethylene concoction now -- but still claims to be very flexible.

The PVC solid jacket could be removed and braid substituted if the wire is broken and had to be replaced but maybe just the old wire could be recovered--if the end connectors could be worked around.

To replace the entire wire, the problem is the amount of wire you have to order since no one I've found seems to be selling it by the foot. Without checking, not sure what size that is but suspect 16 or 18ga. 100ft is average small roll available from the suppliers and you're talking $3-500.00/roll on those sizes. Am wondering if something like that wire is still available as a generic distributor part.

Posted on: 2010/4/25 21:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Question to HH56.
I have a Small vacuum pump. Brand name Shuco Vac.
I need to sterilize the glass canister and rubber stopper and tubes in the stopper. What is the easiest way to do that??? I'm afraid to boil the glass container for fear of it cracking or breaking. Can i use my Shark Steamer to sterlize it??? What about the rubber stopper????

I really need to find locally some more containers or make-shift containers as spares but not having much luck finding anything (glass or otherwise) that will fit the rubber stopper.

Posted on: 2010/4/25 22:34
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure what your collection jar looks like but there are disposable plastic ones available for Schuco/Gomco pumps at a few sites--here is onehttp://www.medonthenet.com/suction-canister-800cc.html if something like that would work.

Small Partshttp://www.smallparts.com/b/393449011/ref=sp_iss_393449011 has a pretty decent supply of rubber stoppers and glass tubes-- also some of the wine/beer outfits as wellhttp://www.howdoyoubrew.com/includes-hdyb/showpage.php?page=Wine_Making_Stoppers_Bungs. Laboratory supply houses too might be a good source although at a quick look it seems most of those want accounts and quantities.
EDIT: The wine link doesn't work well but scroll down to stoppers and bungs if you want to see those.

As to sterilizing what you have, it's hard to say. Some are designed to be sterilized via autoclave but would need more info to be sure. If there is a model number, you might be able to find an online instruction or forum. I would be concerned the steamer would not be consistent enough to do a thorough job. Maybe a cold sterilizing solution or a bleach solution would do the job.

Posted on: 2010/4/25 22:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jt fugere
See User information
If you want to pay for shipping I can sterilize your pieces and ship them back to you in sealed medical bags. I own a tattoo shop and have a $5,000 autoclave that does everything short of producing Packard parts. Lemme know.

Posted on: 2010/4/25 23:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Thanks gentlemen.

On the tattoo's. Have u tatooed any Packard crests or other packard logo's on anyone yet???

Posted on: 2010/4/26 5:57
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved