Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 143

BigKev, bkazmer, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Swap Meet finds
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Well it was a good day around the local swap meet. Mostly the swap meet is aisle after aisle of low cost shoes, womens clothes, off-shore tools, and other low budget crap.

But today there was a older guy there with some used tools, and he just happened to have a Blue Point Heavy Duty drum puller. I think this bad boy must be 30 years old or more and weighs just a much. I damn near dislocated my wrist carrying the thing around the remaining aisles. I think this was an excellent find for $40. The guy was actually suprised that someone my age knew what it was and what it was used for.

The guy also had a heavy duty shop quality craftsman professional floor drill press and it was brand new. I told him if he didnt sell it during the day to call me, and we would work out a fair price for that. So hopefully I will hear something back today.

So all and all, a pretty decent swapmeet day. I have the other drum puller I bought last year (also a really good one) that I am going to sell. So if someone is looking for one, and wants to offer me a fair price for it, just let me know. I can post a pic or two if you like on the one that is for sale.

Posted on: 2007/11/11 17:17
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Re: Swap Meet finds
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
For anyone interested, the one taht is for sale is on the left, and includes an extra (spare) leg.

The one I bought today it on the right. It doesnt look pretty but it's built like a tank.

Attach file:

jpg  (63.17 KB)
1_473787b6108fc.jpg 864X529 px

Posted on: 2007/11/11 17:52
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Great buy Kev, in the right place at the right time! I can see that it's very sturdy.

Posted on: 2007/11/11 18:54
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day Kev, I would be keeping the one on the left, I have an identical one which I carry and it fits all Packards. It has a swivel on the end to avoid spreading the end of the axle. It also has more flexibility in the arm articulation as well as having a fourth leg, being able to handle larger diameter drums such as the eight stud wheels on a Fifth Series to Ninth Series, The sturdy one appears to be made for a single model. Best regards Peter Toet

Posted on: 2007/11/11 21:24
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Hi Kev,

Good find. I sure can use one of them tools.

Posted on: 2007/11/11 21:33
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The blue point one (aka The Tank) is able to change to different diameters of bolt circles. It just is henged on the inside, instead of the outside. It can do just about everything the other one can. I have seen the Blue Point ones sell for $300+ on ebay.

Posted on: 2007/11/11 21:50
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day Big Kev and you are obviously sold on the Blue Point Puller. The Blue Point specimen certainly looks to be very heavy duty and judging by the LH head appears to have been used. The other one would be very handy for someone local to pick up. Both pullers should be used carefully, particlarly concerning striking the centre bolt with a large hammer or the back of an axe to "Jolt" the taper. Packards generally have a trunnion block in the centre of the diff which may shatter if such tactics are applied. For recalcitrant tapers, if time is not a factor I generally put a few hundred pounds of torque onto the puller and go in for a cup of coffee. You will quite often hear a loud bang while you are away and all will be revealed on your return. If it still refuses to budge a SMALL gas flame judiciuosly applied to the taper will often give enough expansion to release the taper, without affecting the temper of the axle. There are probably plenty of variations on hub removal and i am sure we would like to hear the favourite ways to use these and other AXLE pullers. Peter Toet

Posted on: 2007/11/12 2:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
BigKev: Send me a private email as to a price for the puller.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2007/11/13 19:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Tip I use shaft protector on end of axle shaft to prevent damage to thread or the center thats machined on end of axle. Protectors can be purchased from McMaster-Carr under item 6268K33 about $9.00 .We were required to leave nut on shaft near end to prevent the part being pulled flying off and causing injury. The use of shaft center protectors were required to be used when pulling couplings or bearings from shafts Safety first for the part and people also is important with our hobby

Posted on: 2007/11/13 22:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Those axle protectors sound a good idea. I of course was NEVER, EVER someone who undid the axle nut a few threads and drove it normally for a week until a squeaking wheel advised that the drum was ready to co-operate. With all of the OH&S legislation nowadays, it is amazing that the population continued to rise in developed countries. Best regards Peter Toet

Posted on: 2007/11/14 0:22
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved