Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 135

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Re: Eastern bloc craftsmanship
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
gusha alittle trivia for you about me

my original last name was Rugel....i am 99% German Ancestory, well pretty much anyways.

Rugel, as in Ferdinand Rugel, the botanist for the German Empire.

his daughter married my great great something or other grandfather.

i LOVE BMW....well the old well made ones anyways....around 2000 to about 2006 or so sucked on quality. and as evident of your picture of the drawer...i thought everything was better made in Germany.....LOL! j/k

my Packard shares the garage with the bmw....oddly they get along...since they were rivals in the 40s. the share old war stories. LOL!

i am listening to one of my favorite bands. RAMMSTEIN!!! DU HAST MICH! and the newer stuff too.

also got me a nice little tatto on my arm to represent my origins. it is an old english G for GREENE (my last name) colored in the German flag...with the roman numerals 1-5 for the generations of Henry Lee Greenes there are. my son is the V.

well......not to sound queer...BUT..ICH LEIBE DE DUDE!

later,

Hank

Attach file:

jpg  (56.55 KB)
491_4bdb44355a309.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2010/4/30 15:51
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Question about pic labeled: "as a sign of individual springtime.jpg" in post #1 above.

Approximately how old are the 2wo houses in the background????

What kind of roofing material is on them.

Are they solid brick or constructed of other solid masonry?????

Posted on: 2010/5/1 10:29
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
I find Rammstein is a cool band ....but I never size to amaze about the skills and ingeniousety of the eastern block people. How to manage/solve something, when everything is scarce, new that I would call art!

Posted on: 2010/5/1 14:12
Dreaming about a 1954 Packard Clipper
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yes hardtop. But one of the problems here is the US is that very few people can appreciate nor even comprehend (or maybe prefer to negate) any kind of " ...simple solution to a problem".

Posted on: 2010/5/1 14:27
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
to PackardV8; Indeed (I know that) but its not only the US, people here tend to look for other kind of solutions as well and its not fixing a broken thing.
If its broken it goes to the trash can, when I was 10 year old, this kind of behavior was almost absent(considered even non-rational), new its common everywhere. Time has moved on and the eastern block is also chancing.

Posted on: 2010/5/1 14:36
Dreaming about a 1954 Packard Clipper
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Is 'Masterpiece.jpg' metal or wood???? If wood then it is a proto-type for modeling OR a wooden frame for forming sheet metal. Such types of structures are common in the developement of new models.

Posted on: 2010/5/1 20:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
So then, there is no wodd frameing nor wood studding in the clay brick houses???? Is there an 8"x8" yellow clay tile that is layed up first and then the brick veneered on the outside of the yellow clay tile????

Posted on: 2010/5/1 21:01
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I know from spending lots of time in England with my relatives over the last 30 years that even there "Stick Framing" is not the norm as it is here in the US. The most common I see is that the house is all brick (not just a facade like most in the US). Then there is an air gap of a few inches, then an outer later of bricks. So a layer of internal bricking, a 1/2 brick airgap, and then an outer layer of brick. This sit on either a block, stone, or concrete foundation. In believe most of the newer construction (last 50 years) use steel (rebar) reinforcement within the brick walls themselves. I am sure there are different construction layouts, this is just what I have observed.

Posted on: 2010/5/1 21:27
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Guscha. Many thanks for the wall construction picture posted above.

I asked because at one time i lived in a house in the Detroit area that was built by an old Dutchman back in 1928.
The house had solid masonary walls but no insulation between the brick and hollow yellow tile (mite have been ceramic) blocks. About every 8th run of brick was turned perpindicular and keyed into the inner yellow tiled blocks and the interior wet plaster was lathed over the yellow tiled blocks.

The house was most solid like a solid rock. It was just difficult to heat in the very cold winter days.

Such type of construction is very rare to find here in the US. But i like it.

Posted on: 2010/5/2 6:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Guscha writes: 'people like it when I sing traditional German folk songs in celebration of the topping out ceremony.'

Oh YES!!! My favorite lyrics to sing would be:

" Deutsche Frauen, deutsche Treue/Deutscher Wein und deutscher Sang ".

Posted on: 2010/5/2 7:08
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved