Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 108

kevinpackard, Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

1957 Packoln/Linckard
Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Allegedly there was a drawing made by Dick Teague for Jim Nance's proposed Packard reskin of the '56 Lincoln Premiere - one of my favorite car designs - that would have been the basis for the senior Packards for 1957, had Ford cooperated, which regrettably they did not... does that Teague sketch still exist; anyone have a copy in their archives they can post?

Posted on: 2010/5/8 9:58
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Re: 1957 Packoln/Linckard
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, there are pictures (artists conceptions I believe) but the only ones I've seen are in copyrighted publications so I'm reluctant to scan and post here.

Posted on: 2010/5/8 10:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I believe you mean this one (click for a larger view):

Resized Image

It has been on my website for many years and no one has ever complained.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/5/8 12:16
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Thank you very much for posting the pic Craig!!!
Boy, what a beautiful car... alas, it was not meant to be.

Its far better looking than he actual '57 Lincoln based on the same shell... I'd love to take a Premiere and modify it to look like this proposed '57 Packard.

Posted on: 2010/5/8 19:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

The story goes that HFII was amiable to the idea but when Ernie Breech objected, that put the kibosh on the deal.

I've never understood why Breech would object. Ford management knew Lincoln would be done with that body at the end of the '57 model run. Supplying Lincoln body shells that were to be reskinned and mounted on Packard chassis would have been plus business for the Lincoln Division and a sure sale of the dies to Packard to continue using it into '58.

Sure, using the Lincoln shell was a stop-gap. But it might have bought them enough sales to bring an all new body to market by '59 or '60. Shame, by the rendering, it did make a handsome Packard.

Steve

Posted on: 2010/5/9 10:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
The wheelbase on the 56-57 Lincoln was 126in compared to the 55-56 Packard Senior 127in. That's probably close enough to consider putting a customized 56 Lincoln body on a 55-56 Packard T-L chassis. I've never heard or read of anyone doing that, but it would make a really interesting "what if?"

Craig

Posted on: 2010/5/9 12:48
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
For my tastes anyway, it is more handsome than the somewhat bizarre Predictor, the Premiere is a design of restrained elegance, more in keeping with the traditional Packard image.
I wonder, then, what the plan for Clipper would have been had they had gone ahead, since it had a shorter chassis? Still a Packardbaker President, a longer Clipper using the Lincoln body, or a re-skinned Mercury body?

I'm given to understand that Black Bess and the S-P body sharing plan that was drawn up, and for which picture charts and sketches exist, occurred after the idea to use the Lincoln body was shot down by Ford and Packard still hoped to produce something other than just re-skinned existing Studebakers?

Posted on: 2010/5/9 16:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Neat! I had not seen that rendering before Craig posting it here. If this story is true, I am very sure Ernest R. Breech had absolutely no interest what so ever in a Packard produced quad headlight center vertical grill re-skinned Lincoln body automobile. In fact, I am sure he was worried about his current project getting traction and succeeding. Guess why! He was in charge of the "E" car project. The "E" car was a new division of the Ford Motor Company that had been in the works on and off for the prior 10 years. Ironically, by the time this alleged request was being made of Ford Motor Company, a great many Packard dealers were likely jumping ship and taking on "E" car dealerships. Talk about out of the pan and into the fire. Given the fast economic decline by mid year 1957 and how poorly the sales of the then reveled new Edsel Division of Ford Motor company went, I am not sure Packard had much of a chance with that design either way. I think the whole industry contracted much like it is presently.

Posted on: 2010/5/10 0:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

phsnkw
See User information
What I would like to see would be a 58-60 era Lincoln with the large windshield and retractible rear window reskinned from Packard renderings of the time. That would really be something on a four door hardtop with an upright grill a la 68 Continental look.

Posted on: 2010/5/10 8:36
"Do you ever think about the things you do think about?"

Inherit the Wind
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That 58-60 Lincoln rendition would be a sight to see--although, IMHO, those canted headlight would have to go. The Predictor front and back might look good on that body.

Thinking about the size that would have been, makes me wonder if there were any specs published for the proposed cars. Trying to marry S-P products as existed with the common body shell I think would mean one would have had to grow or shrink significantly.

Posted on: 2010/5/10 8:41
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved