Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
197 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 196

Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

1941 Packard: Barn fresh, Rare?
Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
I saw this car on Ebay today, looks "barn fresh". The top looks like a custom. Is this fairly rare? It claims to have been modified for Actor Lionel Barrymore. If true, it is an interesting "find".

Link

Attach file:

jpg  (66.82 KB)
633_4be76108558d3.jpg 600X401 px

jpg  (60.22 KB)
633_4be761e909e58.jpg 600X401 px

jpg  (69.98 KB)
633_4be7622c88fac.jpg 600X401 px

Posted on: 2010/5/9 20:27
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 Packard: Barn fresh, Rare?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'd say that would be very nice project. If the history is true and being a custom car, will be interesting to see what it goes for.

Posted on: 2010/5/9 20:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Wow, great find! Appears to be a 1941 180 formal sedan, which in and of itself makes it relatively uncommon. The removeable door pillar arrangment was a common adaptation on the commercial 160 cars, and there were a couple of Bohman & Schwartz customs similarly modified except that the wheelchair was made to fit in and appear as half the rear seat, indistinguishable from the rest of the upholstery. We should anticipate West Peterson's comments as he's a bit of an authority on these units. A very interesting piece, deserves a good home and a top-notch restoration.

Love to have a picture of the patent plate (vehicle number plate) and the body serial number.

Posted on: 2010/5/9 20:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Upon a google search, I have found another Packard, a 1938 Packard limousine that was modified in a similar way for Lionel Barrymore.

link

I also notice that one fender on the '41 has the side mount, while the other has a standard fender. This must have been a replacement fender.

Posted on: 2010/5/9 20:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I also notice that one fender on the '41 has the side mount, while the other has a standard fender. This must have been a replacement fender.

I wouldn't make that assumption too quickly, the 160 commercial cars with removeable sidepost also generally only carried one sidemount, right side. Of course your assumption is also possible. Just adds to the interest.

Somewhere I have some original Packard literature on the seniors with the removeable door post and single sidemount, I'll try to find it tomorrow and post it. But those features combined into a formal sedan is unique as far as I know.

EDIT Just looked at the rest of the eBay pictures and see that Coachcraft did the conversion work. Also took a closer look at the front fender - sure looks like a replacement; the only 1941 model I recall that didn't have fender whiskers was the 160 commercial bodies.

Posted on: 2010/5/9 20:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
I wouldn't make that assumption too quickly, the 160 commercial cars with removeable sidepost also generally only carried one sidemount, right side. Of course your assumption is also possible. Just adds to the interest.

Very true.

I also noticed on that fender, the strips are missing, that are on all 3 of the other fenders. It just stuck out to me as odd.

The wheel chair is also very interesting. If you look carefully, it is made so the outer edge matches the contours of a standard car seat. So without the doors open, the top of the seat would look like a normal automotive bench seat.

I wonder what are in the doors in the backseat headliner areas?

Barrymore must have had money flowing, as he had 2 custom built Packard limousines made within 3 years of eachother.

Posted on: 2010/5/9 21:04
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Roger L. Hosmer
See User information
Loinel Barrymore was a top star at Metro - Goldwyn - Mayer. Barrymore was given a lifetime contract at the studio as a rewad for his Academy Award winning perfomance in te 1931 film , "A Free Soul".Barrymore appeard in many films 'til his death in 1954.He could have afforded a fleet of Packards.

Posted on: 2010/5/9 21:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I know these cars/owner well. This car is basically a 180 Formal Sedan with a removable post, modified front seat/wheelchair and ramps, and will need a total restoration.

Posted on: 2010/5/9 21:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I wonder what are in the doors in the backseat headliner areas?

Various brochures on the limos and high end models have shown everything from a vanity case with mirror for the ladies, liquor cabinet with fitted glassware, a rear radio control, an intercom to front chauffeur, pipe or smoking material storage, and assorted writing materials so guess the sky's the limit.

Posted on: 2010/5/9 21:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
For those with an interest in formal sedans, you might want to hop over to the PAC forums and view some pictures of a 1939 Twelve formal sedan, #2001, which is all original and in almost new condition. Pix are under the "Packard Photos" discussion group.

Posted on: 2010/5/9 22:02
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved