Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 142

Leeedy, BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

authentic (looking?) battery 1954 Caribbean
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Leon "Pete"
See User information
I am trying to buy a battery for my Caribbean. Antique Auto Batteries from a Hemmings ad has a reproduction exect as original Willard battery for $225.00 or a 1 inch taller Optima inside a WIllard case for $295.00 that is maintenence free.

Does anyone have an opinion on which I should get or know of anything or anywhere else that I should look? Thanks!

Posted on: 2010/5/13 15:07
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/regist
 Top  Print   

Re: authentic (looking?) battery 1954 Caribbean
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Optima. Did you check on the price from our local Packard Optima vendor? You out there Dwight?

Posted on: 2010/5/13 15:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Oh, Definitely go with the Optima inside the Willard case, just be certain to disconnect the battery during any period of non-use, even after driving to a show and parking. The Optima offers beaucoup cranking amps, but is not tolerant to deep-cycle discharges like a lead-acid battery. Not tolerant at all, so just be safe and disconnect it whenever you stop for any period of time. I might go so far as to put an ammeter (hand-held) between the battery and the "load" the post on the starter solenoid to see if there is any drain on the battery, locate the source of the drain and correct it before getting the Optima. You can't beat the cranking amps they stuff in such a small package.

Posted on: 2010/5/13 15:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Third vote for the Optima. None of the repro batteries I've tried lasted too long. Others posted they have had similar experiences.

The $295 with case and battery is the best combo price I find.

Batteries run from $125 at Amazonhttp://www.amazon.com/Optima-Batteries-8010-044-Starting-Battery/dp/B00099HVN6 $160 at 5th avenuehttp://www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com/parts/parts_counter_3.html to $180 at Heinmullerhttp://packardparts.org/parts.htm

The Willard case at Antique Battery and Heinmuller --maybe others-- but his combo price appears it would be quite a bit more. The SoCal region of PI lists generic cases but don't appear to be labeled & prices may be out of date.http://www.packards-today.com/catalog.php?CID=2

Posted on: 2010/5/13 16:46
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Pepboys used to sell the Optima batteries also. Not sure if they carry the 6v versions. But I would imagine a tractor supply store might carry them also a 6v is still used in agricultural circles. If you can find it locally you may save some money because of the cost to ship the battery.

Posted on: 2010/5/13 17:01
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Take a look at Tractor Supply-the group 2/3(long narrow) they sell for about $85. I am sure they have other 6v. It is a lead acid which is basis for the optimun

Posted on: 2010/5/13 20:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm not particularly an advocate of Optima-type batteries, I really don't yet see what advantages they offer over a good lead-acid battery like a NAPA commercial truck/bus battery. But that said, in a case where the battery is visible under the hood and the owner wants an authentic appearance, I'd pick the Optima in an appropriate black case over the boutique lead acid battery every time - I've had quite a few Group 60 boutique Williards and they generally gave very poor service life.

Posted on: 2010/5/13 20:50
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Leon "Pete"
See User information
Thanks for the information!

Posted on: 2010/5/13 21:08
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/regist
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Quote:
Take a look at Tractor Supply-the group 2/3(long narrow) they sell for about $85. I am sure they have other 6v. It is a lead acid which is basis for the optimun

I'm not quite sure exactly what you are saying here, but the Optima is not a lead acid battery, it is better classified as a foil-gel battery, the "plates" are foil, wrapped concentrically around each other with gel in place of the acid. They can be tipped upside down with no ill effect, no spillage. Tractor Supply does offer some great bargains if they happen to carry what you need.

Posted on: 2010/5/14 8:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A bit off topic, forgive me, but perhaps it's time I learned more about the Optima batteries. In my 34 Eight and other prewar seniors with the large battery box below the front seat or below the golf club compartment, I use a NAPA 7212 which gives 1220 cold cranking amps at 32 degrees F, and 1000 at 0 degrees F. Does a single (not installing two in parallel) Optima-type, have comparative capacity?

Posted on: 2010/5/14 8:36
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved