Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 156

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Last day of production at East Grand
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Does anyone know the last day of regular production at East Grand? (Basically last day of '54 model line production).

I am just curious as I know my car was assembled after Aug 19th, 1954 based on some of the ink stampings on some of the parts. I am just curious how close that was to the last day of model production. I know based on VN and having a GearStar Ultra that it was near the end of the production run.

Attach file:

jpg  (87.18 KB)
1_4bf07c8c7384d.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2010/5/16 18:14
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: Last day of production at East Grand
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I seem to recall a picture showing the last but can't find it. According to Dawes, pg 123 Sept 16, 1954 was the last 54 body off line at Connor and first 55 drove out of there on Nov 17, 1954. I would guess that would make early Oct the last Grand Ave cars so they could finish the built 54 bodies and then move equipt.

Posted on: 2010/5/16 19:12
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

dadoc
See User information
The picture you mentioned is in the Autmobile Quarterly book edited by Ms. Kimes...the last car was a Patrician with factory air...the trunk lid is open.

Posted on: 2010/5/16 22:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
That picture is on page 574 of the Kimes book, The text on page 595 states that "transfer of final assembly operations began September 16, 1954" which is all I could find in reference to the last day at EGB. I was in the area of the plant yesterday, drove by, my lord, how sad and how sickening. It just needs to go now.

Posted on: 2010/5/16 23:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
The last 1954 Senior, a Patrician, is pictured on page 574. But, the last car built at EGB is pictured on the next page, and is a Clipper. How do I know? The workers are ripping out the conveyor line behind it.

This picture was also published in the Packard Cormorant's "Factory Issue" a few months ago.

Posted on: 2010/5/16 23:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
My question is if last production on 54 bodies was Sept 16, how long did it take them to complete those cars before the line was torn up.

How did they transport the bodies from Conner to E Grand and how often? Just wondering when they finished a body did they go over in a bunch and wait to be assembled or was it more like todays just in time thing.

With O_D's varying Briggs tag vs Packard data, would suspect a bunch at a time like maybe a weeks worth but then how much storage was at E Grand and then with some numbers right on, maybe only one or two on a truck as completed went.

Posted on: 2010/5/17 8:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Howard, this photo is a pretty good document as to how bodies were transferred from Briggs factories to the customer's plant.

Attach file:

jpg  (74.64 KB)
129_4bf14f73178c3.jpg 750X608 px

Posted on: 2010/5/17 9:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks much. That answers a question. I think I count 8 Chrysler or Mopar somethings on that truck. Assuming Packard took a similar amount, would think there probably wouldn't be more than a few dozen in waiting so maybe less than a week after last 54 body built at Conner before Grand shut down.

Posted on: 2010/5/17 9:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Howard, from what I have seen of older trucks and trailers they were much smaller, shorter and less powerful (ergo the smaller loads) back then, the big trucks came later, so I think it is safe to assume that Packard received their bodies in a similar fashion. The bodies in the picture are 1951 Chrysler convertibles. One thing to remember is that the EGB plant had limitless storage in the early 50s, and Briggs could, and should of had multiple truck/trailer rigs.

Posted on: 2010/5/17 9:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Except for the renumbered 22nd and 23rd series cars, you can get an (admittedly non-precise) idea of the construction, movement and storage of the various body styles by the differences between the Briggs body number and the vehicle number itself. In 1951 thru 1954 except for RHD and specials, they often matched, but in the 22nd/23rd series they were a match perhaps 10-20% of the time, and otherwise the Briggs #s were generally lagging, most often by only 25 units or thereabouts, but occasionaly by hundreds and less often by thousands for some of the low-volume body styles. Hopefully this is a topic Robert Neal will touch upon in his upcoming book.

Posted on: 2010/5/17 10:15
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved