Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 139

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

1952 300 not starting
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

hoenshellg
See User information
I have replaced all of the parts in the distributor: cap rotor condenser points and even replaced the wires and coil. I have checked the timing which is six degrees BTDC. I am getting spark to the plugs and i am getting fuel i don't know why i cant get it to fire up. I just rebuilt the carb last week and have adjusted everything just like the kit says. It ran previously before i rebuilt the carb. any ideas would be helpful

Posted on: 2010/6/12 21:53
 Top  Print 

Re: 1952 300 not starting
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Have you checked to make sure the timing is not 180 degree off?

Do you get any back fire at all?

If you work the throttle do you see fuel get sprayed down the carb throat? If not, then there is a problem with the carb/fuel delivery.

If you pour an ounce of fuel down the carb throat the engine should fire over and run for a moment or two if the ignition system is correct.

If that works, then you know you still have a carb problem.

Posted on: 2010/6/12 22:00
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
I encountered this recently--the wires were one terminal off all the way around the cap. Do this:

remove #1 spark plug and pit your finger over the hole, bump the starter until air pressure blows your finger off the hole. align the timing mark on the vibration damper as close to 0 degrees as possible.

pull the cap and see which terminal the rotor is pointed at, my guess is that you will find it one off. The terminal it IS pointed at needs to be #1, then follow the firing order after that.

To get any internal combustion engine to start you need these things:

compression
fuel
spark
timing

good luck, John

Posted on: 2010/6/12 23:42
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

hoenshellg
See User information
I checked the timing and it is not 180 out cause that is what i thought. The rotor is on the number one spot when number one cylinder is 6 degrees BTDC. the car previously ran so the wires are in the correct spot on the cap. I double checked all the wire positions again. What are the two wires that go to the carburetor for? Nobody that i have talked to on the outside world has ever seen a carburetor with electrical wires on it. It has me puzzled. BigKev, you think that my carb is out of adjustment?

Posted on: 2010/6/13 9:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
The two wires to your carburator are part of the starting circuit. If your car is original, you depress the gas pedal to the floor to initiate the starter motor. This was also a feature on the same period Buicks.

Posted on: 2010/6/13 9:33
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Have you kept the battery charged. If it has gotten run down with sitting or all the starting attempts, the load of the starter motor may be enough to drop the voltage going to the coil. Even if you appear to have spark, it generally takes a few more KV to jump a gap when in a compressed vs normal atmosphere, so if the coil voltage is low, possibly the spark is too weak to jump the gap.

Posted on: 2010/6/13 10:20
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Did you check the carb for fuel as suggested in my prior reply? If you have fuel in the carb, then you should it spray into down the carb throat when you work the throttle linkage. No fuel - No Go.

Posted on: 2010/6/13 12:21
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

hoenshellg
See User information
the battery could be the problem because it has set for a couple weeks and i have been trying to start it quite a bit. There is fuel going down the throat of the carb because you can look down the throat and watch fuel squirt into the intake. All good ideas will check the battery thing.

Posted on: 2010/6/13 16:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I'm sure you know all of the following. But just in case.
Check to see if you have spark at the plugs. Simply take the spark plug wire off and, with insulated pliers, hold it close to a good ground and crank the engine. Make sure it turns over a couple of times to assure it goes through the ignition stroke. I usually take the spark plug out and lay it on the head to remove another variable in the system.

Then if you get spark, it's at the right time, you're getting fuel, and you have compression, you should up and running in no time.

Posted on: 2010/6/14 20:18
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

hoenshellg
See User information
checked the battery with a voltmeter and it was down to about three amps recharged it and tried again to start it. Still won't fire. Rechecked the points. Still won't run.

Posted on: 2010/6/14 21:30
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved