Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
70 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 66

Gary Kulp, humanpotatohybrid, bkazmer, Psmith, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: 1952 300 not starting
Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
I feel for you...that sucks.

Pull the carb check everything over real well put it back on...maybe a gasket problem...maybe bring the carb in and have an old mechanic look it over...

Your battery is positive ground correct?

How about a bunch of photographs, to help us diagnose. There's some sharp eyes in this bunch and they may see something.

And maybe a list of things you've tried since it ran last.

Did you try holding a spark plug like David recommended?

Did you try a different battery?

Posted on: 2010/6/14 21:48
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Are you getting spark?

Posted on: 2010/6/14 21:57
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
checked the battery with a voltmeter and it was down to about three amps recharged it and tried again to start it. Still won't fire. Rechecked the points. Still won't run.

Since you used a voltmeter, I guess you mean it was down to 3 volts, not amps. Best way to check a lead/acid battery is with a battery hydrometer, specific gravity should be about 1.285 fully charged. If your battery really only reads 3 volts, forget it, it's junk and no amount of charging is going to change that. And 3 volts isn't enough to trigger the ignition system, or even enough to give a little glow to a bulb for that matter. I'd suggest getting a new battery and starting from there.

Posted on: 2010/6/14 22:09
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Plus if you have a marginal battery your going to end up reducing the life of the generator as it's going to be constantly trying to charge a battery that wont take a full charge.

Most auto-parts store will test your battery for you for free. It may be worth a check.

Posted on: 2010/6/14 22:14
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
If a new battery does not work, you may have a timing chain that has jumped one or more teeth on the gears. In this situation everything appears to function normally, but the valve timing is off just enough to prevent the engine from starting. A timing chain will jump after performing correctly the last time the car was running. They usually jump when trying to restart the engine. I hope it is a discharged battery and not a jumped timing chain. Good luck.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/6/15 9:39
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

davegnh
See User information
If it was running before you worked on the carb and now it isn't then check the carb again. When you put your hand over the carb when it is turning over do you get vacuum? Maybe in all your trying to start it you washed all the oil away in the cylinders and don't have any compression?

Posted on: 2010/6/15 20:31
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Jeff
See User information
I've had this happen to me. I checked everything a number of times. Just a few drops of oil in each cyl bought my compression back.

Posted on: 2010/6/16 1:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Jeff aka PAC052,
A formal to PackardInfo and for including your '52 : 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2010/6/16 3:05
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

hoenshellg
See User information
Thanks for the good ideas. Asked an old mechanic to come take a look and he figured it out after twenty minutes. The spark plugs were autolite and instead of sparking across the electrode it was firing between the porcelain and the case of the plug. Put champion j8 plugs in and fired on the first try. Still having problems getting it to idle smoothly. I have checked the timing with a timing light and it needs to be slowed down but cant get the distributor to turn that far. I know that all I have to do is twist it and get the next tooth. I just don't know if i should since at one point the car ran smooth. What do you guys think? Since the car has ran smooth i have rebuilt the carburetor and the fuel pump. I don't know if that will have anything to do with it not idling correctly.

Posted on: 2010/6/16 20:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
That HAD to feel good when it started!

Posted on: 2010/6/16 20:46
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved