Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: 1952 300 not starting
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
30 psi fuel pressure is nearly 10-times too much and would overwhelm any carbureted car. Sounds like you've found the problem but I'm curious what type of pump delivered that pressure? I'm no big fan of electric pumps, at least in my climate where summer temps rarely exceed 95 (except for the last 3 days!) and pressure regulators and I'm assuming you had an electric pump. However, electric pumps are readily available in 6-volt that deliver the 3-5 psi range directly. But unless you're in a blazing hot climate, the mechanical pump, properly rebuilt, should be all that you need.

Posted on: 2010/7/7 10:33
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

hoenshellg
See User information
The pump was not electric. it was the one that came factory on the car. Right after i got the car the pump was leaking so I rebuilt it and that is why it has too much pressure.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 14:40
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I just cant fathom a stock Packard mechanical fuel pump putting out that kind of pressure! Or any Mechanical fuel pump for that matter unless it was for some kind of racing application.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 14:56
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sounds absolutely impossible to me, I wonder if the gauge was correct or being read correctly. The reason mechanical pumps don't have pressure regulators is that about 5 psi is maximum by design.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 15:01
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard A. Alwes
See User information
Just a beginner if you have fuel spark the third item is compression. If you have all three it should run. Since the car was the last item worked on my bet is this is where you will find the problem. Good luck

Posted on: 2010/7/11 18:45
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

hoenshellg
See User information
The rebuild kit for the fuel pump was supposed to be a factory replacement not a racing one. So I don't know why it would put out that much pressure either. Im just glad that it does not smoke any more.

Posted on: 2010/7/12 11:10
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved