Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 131

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Totally Confused
Just popping in
Just popping in

sam
See User information
I like to introduce myself. My name is Sam. I have some questions on a 1939 Packard 120.
I recently purchased what the guy said was the title to a 1939 Packard.
What my question is did Packard make a mid-year car? All of the pictures I have seen does not
looks like the car I purchased. The vin plate says a 1939 but I think I have a 1940 Packard. Is there
a way to make sure the vin plate and title match the car? Any help would be greatly appreciated

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6u9xdt3&s=1
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=739ts10&s=1
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6lbhe14&s=1

Thank you
Sam

Posted on: 2007/11/26 21:06
 Top  Print   

Re: Totally Confused
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Sam, what you have is a model 1392 (the first 4 digits of the vehicle number on the data plate are the key). The model 1392 is a 1940 '120' Touring Sedan. The date on the plate is applied by the dealership. A number of the 1940 models were introduced in August of '39. According to my information the 1940 120's were introduced in January '40... but that information would appear to be incorrect based on your data plate. In any case, welcome to the wonderful world of Packards!

Posted on: 2007/11/26 22:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Sam,

Welcome aboard, You'll find plenty of Packard lovers here willing to share their knowledge and experience with you.

Are you able to enter your '40 in the Owner Registry together with a pic and any history, or how you came to acquire it?

Again - Welcome.

Posted on: 2007/11/27 0:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day Sam and all, If you are new to Packards, it is a bit confusing sometimes. I have a 37 Super Eight which is definitely a 1937, but it was delivered on 24 November 1936. With some of the earlier Series in the pre-Thirties, Packard had lengthy production runs and one model could span a few years. My understanding is that from 1936 onwards, Packard released models annually. There were probably a few exceptions to this and far more knowledgeable people than me, around to explain it. Peter Toet

Posted on: 2007/11/27 4:34
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
According to the Appendix in Turnquist's book which most folks have found very authoritative, the 1937 Super Eight production was initiated on September 3, 1936 and production ceased on September 29, 1937. Nothing particularly unusual about this, the same basic pattern give or take a month on either end was pretty much followed for the next 4 decades.

Posted on: 2007/11/27 14:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Owen: I think that Turnquist information might not be totally correct. The 1937 Super Eight was introduced on the date you stated, however production was ended on August 9, 1937. Production of the 1938 Super Eight started on September 29, 1937.

Source: Packard A History of the Motor Car and the Company
Beverly Rae Kimes. My other source that I normally have to confirm
the above information, is about three thousand miles from me right now.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2007/11/27 18:17
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Do I live that far away from you John?

Your book is safe and sound sitting here waiting to go through.

Posted on: 2007/11/27 18:21
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

sam
See User information
Hi all
I would like to thank all for the information. At least now I know what I have an what direction to go in.
Yes this is my first Packard. I've always loved the car but i never could find one that I could buy.
I'm still in the dog house. The wife says that I will never get it finished. I have to admit the car is in
very rough condition. What book would I have to have for the body panels? Or do they have one?

I am going to try to do most of that work myself. I have made patch panels for different cars.
but I know nothing about the Packard. I have seen a few of them but never worked on one.

Again thanks
Sam

Posted on: 2007/11/27 19:59
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved