Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 158

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

53 cavalier
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

leaded53
See User information
hello,i just got this 1953 caviler engine was gone through and and set in the machine shed,the engine was toped off with oil
to prevent it freezing up,before i bought it. i turn the engine from now and then cause its going to be awhile before i can get to it. i have been researching into the caviler model but other than what specs and statistics on the model there really isn't much talk about the caviler why is this? it dosent seen to be too many of these left or what?
[flash=,]<table border="0" width="800" style="border: none; font-family: Myriad, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif;"><tr><td colspan="2" style="border: none;"><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowNetworking="all" src="http://w6.photobucket.com/flash/tagWidget.swf?mediaURL=aHR0cDovL2k2LnBob3RvYnVja2V0LmNvbS9hbGJ1bXMveTIwMy9jcmFwc2hvb3QvUGljdHVyZTI5NS5qcGc%3D" width="800" height="600"/></td></tr></table>[/flash]

Posted on: 2010/7/13 16:36
 Top  Print   

Re: 53 cavalier
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Nice car! And welcome to Packard Info.

As far as why there is not more talk about the Cavalier, I don't know. They were the 300 before they became known as the Cavalier. You might search under 300. It is a very nice car, second only to the 400 also known latter as the Patrician.

Looks like lots of fun in store for you. There are very knowledgeable people here who can offer lots of guidance.

Jim

Posted on: 2010/7/13 22:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

phsnkw
See User information
Well, actually from 1951-54 the company built more 300-Cavaliers than 400-Patricians. The 300-Cavaliers have been kinda overlooked because it was the base full sized model which could have no power accesories to loaded. I think the main difference (until 1954) between the two was the interior. Since its been 50+ years of wear and tear, you could redo the interior of your Cavalier better than a Patrician. Any forums relating to 300, Cavalier, 400, Patrician, or senior-full sized models of 1951-54 could be a help to you. Any accessories on your car can be looked up as well. There are many, many discusions about the Easamatic braking system used. I hope everything goes well for you. Chris

Posted on: 2010/7/14 8:11
"Do you ever think about the things you do think about?"

Inherit the Wind
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
In addition to interior and exterior trim differences, the engines were different. The '51-'53 Patrician 400s/400s were equipped with the 327 cu. in., 9-main bearing, hydraulic lifter engine and rated at 150 to 180 B.H.P over these years. The '51-'53 300s/Cavaliers had the 327 cu. in., 5-main bearing, hydraulic lifter engine and also rated at 150 to 180 B.H.P. Packard put all its finest and deluxe features into the "Patricians", but the "Cavaliers" are certainly very nice Packards. There is what appears to be an exceptionally nice 1953 Patrician on eBay right now. I only mention this as a way to compare the two models. It looks like you landed a very nice Packard. Welcome.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/7/14 10:15
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, the Cavaliers are very good examples of Packard's products, I have a friend who has a very fine, totally original 54 Cavalier, bought some years back with about 12,000 miles on it and it had always had extremely fine care, both prior and since. All paint, chrome and interior absolutely original. It holds an AACA HPOF award as an original. It's been on many, many tours and long trips and is an excellent tour car. Picture to follow.

Attach file:

jpg  (67.47 KB)
177_4c3dd67e5550a.jpg 1026X646 px

Posted on: 2010/7/14 10:25
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Charles Neuhaus
See User information
In 1953, Consumer Reports rated the Cavalier above the Patrician because the Cavalier could be ordered with overdrive, while Ultramatic was standard on the Patrician. A friend of mine is in the process of restoring a 53 Cavalier with overdrive, but they seem to be few and far between. Personally I would take the overdrive every time.

Posted on: 2010/7/14 12:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Nope, there doesn't seem to be many of these floating around. This site is about the best source of information available, other than finding someone that actually worked at the Packard plant. On speculation, I occasionally type in "1953 Packard Cavalier" in a general search (Google, Dogpile, etc) and usually just get frustrated. I'll be more than happy to share what information I've been able to gather. I surely love driving mine!

Scott

Posted on: 2010/7/15 10:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The current PAC member directory lists about 47 Cavaliers or 300 sedans for the years 1951 thru 1954.

Posted on: 2010/7/15 11:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
I own a 1953 Cavalier which I am sure isn't in the PAC member directory. There were 10,799 Cavaliers produced in 1953.

Posted on: 2010/7/15 21:07
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

leaded53
See User information
Thanks for the information guys I am just starting to look at info on the packard , my back ground is toward the period correct hotrods 50's - 60's, but this car is going stock with some accessories,skirts,visor maybe a centennial kit what will hopefully be a great family cruiser

Posted on: 2010/7/16 18:33
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved