Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (155 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 222

Ozstatman, humanpotatohybrid, jwblazek, BillinNC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Hot Engine Won't Start
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Ramon R.
See User information
Good Day All,

I have a 53' Patrician with a 327 straight 8 and a 4bbl carb. My issue is after taking a wonderful 40-50 mile cruise around town, without any problems, the car won't start after I shut it off until it cools down significantly. When cold the car fires right away ( 2-3 seconds). I did notice that when I take shorter trips that the car does'nt start as quickly as when it is cold. Can anyone give me any suggestions on what to check to figure out my issue? Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Ramon from Michigan

Posted on: 2010/7/22 8:24
 Top  Print   

Re: Hot Engine Won't Start
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Didn't mention if engine turns over normally but just doesn't start of if slow or doesn't turn over. I have had some issue in past when things hot. Heat can decrease efficiency on some electrical items if the least little thing is wrong. Things such as poor connection, weak spark, weak battery, dragging starter, tight engine making it barely turn until cooled really manifest. If all that seems normal, then other possibility is gas is "boiling" out of carb and things are dry.

Posted on: 2010/7/22 8:38
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Ramon R.
See User information
Sorry, yes the engine turns over slowly. I'll check on the items you listed. I appreciate the help.

Thanks

Ramon

Posted on: 2010/7/22 8:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
If you spray starter fluid in carb-will it start? Could determine whether fuel issue or electrical. I have had coils when hot break down-but on cooling starts with no problem.

Posted on: 2010/7/22 9:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Based on what has been described, I would say you have a starter problem. The engine should turn over just as fast when it is at operating temperature as when it is cold. A slow turning starter will draw too much from the starter leaving an insufficient voltage for the ignition system. Good luck, and let us know how you resolved this problem.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/7/22 9:57
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

bl1308
See User information
Hi Ramon. Did you ever determine the cause of the problem? I've purchased a 1952 Packard for my father, and two mechanics can't figure out why it won't start after the engine is hot. One insists it's the starter (which we just had rebuilt), and the other mechanic is stumped and can't find an answer. Please let me know if you've found a cause/remedy. Thanks!

Posted on: 2011/12/30 13:36
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bozonono
See User information
I'm running into almost the same problem with my 54 359 engine. Quick cold start, struggling hot start. battery is new ill have to check cables coil and battery i guess.

Posted on: 2011/12/30 14:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
A common suggestion is to make sure you're using new...and the right size battery cables. Don't use the 12v ones from the parts store, and i believe some have recommended having welding shops make you some. The previous owner of my car had them made from welding cable, and they've worked great on 2 different motors/starters hot and cold.

Posted on: 2011/12/30 14:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
bl1308 wrote:....I've purchased a 1952 Packard for my father....
G'day bl1308,
to PackardInfo, but sorry I can't add anything that would help to overcome your problem. However I invite you, or your Dad, to add the '52 Packard to the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2011/12/30 15:22
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jason Smith
See User information
bl1308 & John,
The others are certainly correct by mentioning the potential problem with the cables. It's very common for the cables to get replaced with smaller guage. If the starter is weak, there is other options on that also. I've had very good luck in the past replacing customers field coils with new "High Torque" windings. Let me know if this interests you at all. Feel free to ask all the questions you want. I don't always get back to the forum on a regular basis, so feel free to email me.
Jason
Advanced Electrical Rebuilders
jason@aerrebuild.com
www.aerrebuild.com

Posted on: 2011/12/31 1:37
Jason
Advanced Electrical Rebuilders
Starter, Generator & Distributor Restoration
jason@aerrebuild.com
www.aerrebuild.com
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved