Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 116

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Air Draft Tube
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Does anyone have any authoritative information (as in a Packard Service Letter or other communication to dealers) about what I'm calling an ?air draft tube?, a horizontally mounted thin wall tube about 1-1/2 inches OD and 10 inches long, fastened by two welded legs to the engine oil filter bolts? It's located at the front upper left side of engine, above the oil filter, and in line with the oil filler cap. This part is seen on some 356 engines between 1941-47 but has no numbers or markings on it and apparently is not listed in the parts books. Its purpose apparently is to direct a small portion of the engine fan draft to a slot opening the oil filler tube cap. Its been suggested that it was provided for customers who complained about ?oil smells? and functioned by pressurizing the crankcase and forcing fumes out of the road draft tube when the car was not moving forward.

Posted on: 2007/12/5 9:28
 Top  Print   

Re: Air Draft Tube
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The article on sticky vales from Feb 1, 1941 service counselor may answer your question. There were 2 follow ups again suggesting the use.

Attach file:

jpg  (117.84 KB)
209_4756c4c5252ed.jpg 580X800 px

Posted on: 2007/12/5 10:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks!! Precisely what I was hoping someone would have.

Posted on: 2007/12/5 11:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Thanks from me also! My 47 has one of those tubes. I knew what it was intended to do but not sure why it was needed.

Posted on: 2007/12/5 12:11
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Looks like I am going to have to try to track down more of those older Service Letters and Counselors and have those online here at the website. You never know when they may contain that pearl of wisdom you are seeking.

Posted on: 2007/12/5 13:15
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'd offer some but not sure of history. Most of my pre 45 SC & letters are xerox copies. I can't remember if they are some I copied when a now deceased friend loaned me some of his extensive collection or were bought from one of the vendors--I kinda suspect the latter.

Posted on: 2007/12/5 13:32
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved