Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 106

Packard Don, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Chrome Head Nuts Stripping
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
The other day I went to re-torque the head nuts and a few of them just would not tighten and I thought "O" no please don't tell me it stripped in the block. So I pull the nut off and found that the actual threads in the nut were stripped.

These nuts were purchased from vendor "M" has anyone else run into this problem?

Luckily I had the set that I took of originally and clean them up and reused them.

Posted on: 2010/8/10 21:12
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Re: Chrome Head Nuts Stripping
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Tom: If you think that you have gotten a bad product from a vendor don't be afraid to state thier name. No use of beating around the bush.

I would contact the vendor and tell them of the problem and return them.

John S

Posted on: 2010/8/10 21:17
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Any idea what the construction is between the two? Am wondering if the originals might have been stainless steel and the replacements a lower grade and apparently not very hardened ordinary chromed steel.

Posted on: 2010/8/10 21:20
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Tom, I'm guessing you're talking about acorn nuts and not just regular flat 7/16-20 nuts? A few years ago I bought a set of chrome acorns from one of the CCCA regions and they were poorly finished, lousy threads, etc., quite unsatisfactory. Since then I've been buying them in stainless from Tioga and they are a fine product. Another advantage of stainless is that the finish looks more like nickel plating which they should be anyway.

Posted on: 2010/8/10 22:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
All thanks for the feedback.

I did not personally purchase them. The shop that did the engine work for me purchase them along with new studs from Max Merritt. The shop sent them for me to install.

No idea on the construction between the two.

The bad ones I have tossed already :( Probably should not have but I had no need for them and did not even think of calling Max.

Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Since then I've been buying them in stainless from Tioga and they are a fine product.
Dave thanks for the info I will take note for future purchase if ever needed.
Would you have a link or contact info?

Thanks

Posted on: 2010/8/11 7:00
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Just out of curiosity were acorn nuts standard or optional from the factory????

Posted on: 2010/8/11 9:17
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
This probably varied with years and models but I believe they were always standard equipment on the Twelves and optional in some fashion (factory or dealer) on Eights, Super Eights and other models thru 1939 at least. I often see them on later models thru 1954 and don't know if they were legitimately available for those models or not but they are not listed in the 48-54 parts book. I suspect they were also a popular dealer "dress up" option. They may also have been standard on the earlier Twin Sixes after the First Series (which did not have detachable cylinder heads).

Posted on: 2010/8/11 10:05
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
They were not Packard approved accessories any of the 51-54 models. But are often incorrectly used for the bling factor. There is a company that makes faux ones that snap over your existing head bolts.

Posted on: 2010/8/11 12:13
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Dave thanks for the info I will take note for future purchase if ever needed.
Would you have a link or contact info?

www.tiogastainless.com
(802)-655-9671

Posted on: 2010/8/11 12:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
A previous owner of my '47 Custom replaced all the fasteners in the engine compartment with stainless steel when he did a mechanical restoration of the car from the clutch forward in the mid-80s. These nuts, bolts, screws, and washers add a nice but subdued enhancement to the appearance of the engine. The cylinder head stainless steel nuts (not acorn) and washers are a nice finishing touch without being flashy.

Posted on: 2010/8/11 14:44
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved